Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Visual Jython idea brainstorming welcome

Visual Jython idea brainstorming welcome

Victor

Hi all,

I had this idea two minutes ago. I am proprosing an idea to build an
IDE called "Visual Jython" with Eclipse technology. This IDE is
targeted towards building enterprise client applications running any
Java platform mostly non-web based clients.

My background is diversed in UNIX variants, Java and Python. Here are
something off the top of my head.

1. Basically from UI perspective, it will be like as name implied
"Visual Studio" like.

2. plug in architecture
This IDE should define or use a componenent architecture to plug &
play component written in Java confining to a Jython Plug in API. For
instance, we can develop plug in for ODBC, Oracle, DB2, Informix, MQ,
SAP etc for enterprise uses.

3. gluing languag--Jython
maybe we need funding to support Jython for this matter to make it
commerical quality.

4. .NET integration?
Should this IDE generate code that can run on top of .NET to attract
more VB/.Net programmers into this field?

Welcome comments on features this IDE should have.

cheers,
Victor

Markus Wankus

On 13 Jan 2004 09:36:57 -0800, Victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had this idea two minutes ago. I am proprosing an idea to build an
> IDE called "Visual Jython" with Eclipse technology. This IDE is
> targeted towards building enterprise client applications running any
> Java platform mostly non-web based clients.
>
> My background is diversed in UNIX variants, Java and Python. Here are
> something off the top of my head.
>
> 1. Basically from UI perspective, it will be like as name implied
> "Visual Studio" like.
>
> 2. plug in architecture
> This IDE should define or use a componenent architecture to plug &
> play component written in Java confining to a Jython Plug in API. For
> instance, we can develop plug in for ODBC, Oracle, DB2, Informix, MQ,
> SAP etc for enterprise uses.
>

> 3. gluing languag--Jython
> maybe we need funding to support Jython for this matter to make it
> commerical quality.
>

> 4. .NET integration?
> Should this IDE generate code that can run on top of .NET to attract
> more VB/.Net programmers into this field?
>

> Welcome comments on features this IDE should have.

You should check out this project - perhaps you are headed in the same
direction?

http://ejython.tigris.org/

From the website:

Description

The eJython project was formed to accommodate two goals. First to provide
rich scripting functionality to Java developers using Eclipse. The second
goal is to build a functioning Jython (Java based Python) development
environment inside Eclipse. The ultimate vision is to realize the
following requirements.
Provide a view with a Jython interpreter built into the view.
Integrate Jython as a scripting language for complex operations on
documents open in the Eclipse Editors.
Provide a development environment for developing Jython based projects
using Eclipse.
Attach Jython to upcoming refactoring extension points to allow developers
to easily write their own refactoring tools.

--
Markus