Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Asynchronous HTTP server in standard library ?

Asynchronous HTTP server in standard library ?

Pierre Quentel

Python standard library provides two modules for asynchronous socket
programming : asyncore and asynchat. Several web servers have been built
upon these modules (medusa being the best-known I suppose) and are famous
for their performance level

Unfortunately no example of use is provided in the standard library (whereas
the more "classic" SocketServer is illustrated by BaseHTTPServer,
SimpleHTTPServer, etc). I think it would be useful if Python came with a
simple HTTP server written with these modules, to help beginners understand
how use them

I've written one, which handles GET and POST requests. It's inspired by (and
partly copied from) the http subset of medusa, only reduced to less than 200
lines. It's called SimpleAsyncHTTPServer and published on Active State
Python Cookbook

Any thoughts ?
Pierre

Wilk

"Pierre Quentel" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Python standard library provides two modules for asynchronous socket
> programming : asyncore and asynchat. Several web servers have been built
> upon these modules (medusa being the best-known I suppose) and are famous
> for their performance level
>
> Unfortunately no example of use is provided in the standard library (whereas
> the more "classic" SocketServer is illustrated by BaseHTTPServer,
> SimpleHTTPServer, etc). I think it would be useful if Python came with a
> simple HTTP server written with these modules, to help beginners understand
> how use them
>
> I've written one, which handles GET and POST requests. It's inspired by (and
> partly copied from) the http subset of medusa, only reduced to less than 200
> lines. It's called SimpleAsyncHTTPServer and published on Active State
> Python Cookbook
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/259148
>
> Any thoughts ?

I think you'll be welcome in the web-sig !!!
http://python.org/sigs/web-sig/

--
Wilk - http://flibuste.net

John J. Lee

Wilk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Pierre Quentel" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

[...]
> > Any thoughts ?

> I think you'll be welcome in the web-sig !!!
> http://python.org/sigs/web-sig/

Yes, certainly -- don't let it worry you that the discussion died down
for the last month or so. It'll likely start up again if/when
somebody posts something interesting (or, more accurately, when
somebody posts something controversial .

John