Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > unable to register PythonService.exe

unable to register PythonService.exe

ChrisD

I'm running Python 2.3.3 with Win32 extensions win32all-163. I'm
working through Chapter 18 of Mark Hammond's excellent "Python
Programming on Win32". On page 350 the simple NT service example
requires that the PythonService.exe program be registered. However,
when I attempt it I get this error:

---------------------------------
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32>PythonService /register
Registering the Python Service Manager...
Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread

abnormal program termination
---------------------------------

Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem?

thank you!

Chris

Thomas Heller

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ChrisD) writes:

> I'm running Python 2.3.3 with Win32 extensions win32all-163. I'm
> working through Chapter 18 of Mark Hammond's excellent "Python
> Programming on Win32". On page 350 the simple NT service example
> requires that the PythonService.exe program be registered. However,
> when I attempt it I get this error:
>
> ---------------------------------
> C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\win32>PythonService /register
> Registering the Python Service Manager...
> Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
>
> abnormal program termination
> ---------------------------------
>
> Any thoughts on how I can fix this problem?

Looks like a bug to me, it behaves the same for me.

OTOH, it seems that it's not required to do this registration since the
sample PythonTestService.py works fine for me.

Thomas

ChrisD

> Looks like a bug to me, it behaves the same for me.
>
> OTOH, it seems that it's not required to do this registration since the
> sample PythonTestService.py works fine for me.

It works for me, too! I didn't even think of trying that. It does
appear that the installation program registered PythonService.exe -
which the book says it does... I obviously didn't pay enough attention
to that!

Thanks for helping me figure that out.

Chris