Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Pre-PEP: Dynamically evaluating default function arguments

RE: Pre-PEP: Dynamically evaluating default function arguments

Robert Brewer

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote some stuff about evaluating function params at
runtime.

Some of us can recall statements like this one:

"Nevertheless, there's no chance in hell this will ever change, so
let's drop the subject."

--Guido van Rossum
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...st/028243.html

...and some of us who don't can easily Google for it.

Are you sure you want to waste (I mean spend) time on this Sisyphean
task Yet Again?

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries

Samuel Walters

|Thus Spake Robert Brewer On the now historical date of Tue, 06 Jan 2004
15:02:08 -0800|
> "Nevertheless, there's no chance in hell this will ever change, so let's
> drop the subject."
>
> --Guido van Rossum
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pyt...st/028243.html
>
> ..and some of us who don't can easily Google for it.
>
> Are you sure you want to waste (I mean spend) time on this Sisyphean
> task Yet Again?

OT: I once worked with a fellow that had just enough knowledge about our
business and systems to suggest wildly bad ideas to "improve" our
applications. On one particular project, he was required at several of
the requirements gathering meetings. He took up a crusade that wasted
much of our time explaining to him that his idea was not only undesirable,
but incredibly unworkable. When the preliminary timeline for the project
was passed around via email so that we could all ask for corrections I
added his idea as a milestone with a projected completion date of "After
the eventual heat death of the universe." The project manager happily
emailed him that his proposal had been accepted and added to the timeline.
He was quite pleased with himself and was much easier to work with since
he had "made a difference."

Sam Walters.

--
Never forget the halloween documents.
http://www.opensource.org/halloween/

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:58:30 GMT, rumours say that Samuel Walters
<(E-Mail Removed)> might have written:

>OT: I once worked with a fellow that had just enough knowledge about our
>business and systems to suggest wildly bad ideas to "improve" our
>applications. On one particular project, he was required at several of
>the requirements gathering meetings. He took up a crusade that wasted
>much of our time explaining to him that his idea was not only undesirable,
>but incredibly unworkable. When the preliminary timeline for the project
>was passed around via email so that we could all ask for corrections I
>added his idea as a milestone with a projected completion date of "After
>the eventual heat death of the universe." The project manager happily
>emailed him that his proposal had been accepted and added to the timeline.
> He was quite pleased with himself and was much easier to work with since
>he had "made a difference."

So, perhaps we should invent a new reply for all wild ideas about Python
(I've had my share of these

"Thank you for your contribution; your suggestion has been judged worthy
of inclusion in Python 4k. Upload your patch to sf.net as soon as
Python 3k final is released."
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix

Samuel Walters

|Thus Spake Christos "TZOTZIOY" Georgiou On the now historical date of
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:19:57 +0200|
> So, perhaps we should invent a new reply for all wild ideas about Python
> (I've had my share of these
>
> "Thank you for your contribution; your suggestion has been judged worthy
> of inclusion in Python 4k. Upload your patch to sf.net as soon as Python
> 3k final is released."

It might shorten a few discussions.