Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Text-to-HTML processing program

Text-to-HTML processing program

phil hunt

Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
markup would be ideal)?

(Email: <(E-Mail Removed)>, but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).

Paul Rubin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ess (phil hunt) writes:
> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
> markup would be ideal)?

I really wish Wikipedia, BBCodes, and all that would just use regular
HTML instead of continually inventing new "simplified" markup codes
for users to remember. The one thing they do that's useful is convert
blank lines to <p>.

John Hunter

phil> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program,
phil> ideally written in Python because I'll probably be wanting
phil> to make small modifications to it, which is simple and
phil> straightforward to use and which uses a simple markup
phil> language (something like Wikipedia markup would be ideal)?

Structured text is one of the simplest markups around (and
sufficiently powerful to make nice looking hardcopy) and is well
supported in python

http://www.zope.org/Members/millejoh/structuredText

http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs...uickstart.html

Beyond that, search google groups for

structured text group:*python*

Here's a link to a post from me about the conversion of one of the old
diehards in our hospital to structured text:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/...ay/115243.html.

JDH

Jarek Zgoda

phil hunt <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
> markup would be ideal)?

Try PyTextile: http://www.diveintomark.org/projects/pytextile -- it's
Python implementation of Dean Allen's original PHP Textile.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1

phil hunt

On 02 Jan 2004 22:18:56 -0800, Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) (phil hunt) writes:
>> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
>> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
>> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
>> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
>> markup would be ideal)?

>I really wish Wikipedia, BBCodes, and all that would just use regular
>HTML instead of continually inventing new "simplified" markup codes
>for users to remember. The one thing they do that's useful is convert
>blank lines to <p>.

Wikipedia markup is significantly easier to use than HTML. Compare:

This is a ''list'':
* A list
* [http://www.cabalamat.org/ my website]
* [http://slashdot.org/ Slashdot]

With:

<ul>
</ul>

(Email: <(E-Mail Removed)>, but first subtract 275 and reverse
the last two letters).

Rene Pijlman

phil hunt:
>Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
>written in Python [...] which uses a simple markup language
>(something like Wikipedia markup would be ideal)?

"reStructuredText is an easy-to-read, what-you-see-is-what-you-get
plaintext markup syntax and parser system. The reStructuredText parser is
a component of Docutils. reStructuredText is a revision and
reinterpretation of the StructuredText and Setext lightweight markup
systems."
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/FAQ....structuredtext

"Structured Text is a simple plain text markup format used by Zope and
many Zope products, invented by.. JimFulton? ? The idea is to have text
that is easy to read both in source and rendered form."
http://dev.zope.org/Members/jim/Stru...iki/FrontPage/

--
René Pijlman

Patrick Useldinger

I like http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/, used it to design my homepage.
--
http://www.homepages.lu/pu/

Jeff Schwab

phil hunt wrote:
> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
> markup would be ideal)?

How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
the <pre> tag in HTML?

John Roth

"phil hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
> markup would be ideal)?

There's an old saying that's attributed to a lot of people:

For every hard problem, there is a solution that is simple,
obvious and wrong.

Markup seems to be one of those problems. Lots of people
look at the existing markup languages out there, go "oh, yuck!,"
and invent a simpler markup language that promptly starts growing
until it reaches the state of the languages they originally rejected
as too complex.

John Roth

phil hunt

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:05:54 -0500, Jeff Schwab <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>phil hunt wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a text-to-HTML processing program, ideally
>> written in Python because I'll probably be wanting to make small
>> modifications to it, which is simple and straightforward to use
>> and which uses a simple markup language (something like Wikipedia
>> markup would be ideal)?

>How about troff? Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
>the <pre> tag in HTML?

I wasn't aware troff did HTML output.

>Or if you really want to keep it simple, why not use
>the <pre> tag in HTML?

Yuk.