Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Playstation 2 Setup Comments

Playstation 2 Setup Comments

Jim Saunders

Hello All,

Once again I am basically asking for your comments on another little
tutorial I have written on how to perform port forwarding specifically for
Playstation2 games using a Cisco router.

Oh my website http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?ta...c_playstation2
(or see below) I have written what I think are a few possibilities on how to
setup a Cisco router to help with port forwarding for Multiplayer Games such
as Medal of Honor, SOCOM etc...

I would greatly appreciate your comments on this tutorial, whether you think
that I am on the right tracks with this, any changes, additions, or if you
have any other comments or tips for Cisco <-> PS2 setup.

I am still really a cisco beginner and have started this site to help the
average beginner cisco home network user like me, as at times the Cisco site
can get a bit overwhelming.

thank you for you help,

Jim

Copy from my website...

=================================
http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?ta...c_playstation2

Cisco Configs - Port Forwarding for Playstation 2 Network Games

The following config is to help Playstation 2 game players who wish to use
the Playstation Network Adapter connected to the internet via a Cisco router
for networked games, particularly in NAT (Network Address Translation)
setups, like the Cable Modem Setup.

Port Forwarding and NAT
The problem with running NAT on a router is that it is only able to
translate and forward packets from the internet to a machine within the
'inside' network with prior knowledge of who it is intended for. When a
machine within the 'inside' network (i.e. the Playstation 2 or Home PC)
sends packets out through the router to a machine on the internet and the
internet machine replies, the router is able to work out who the reply is
intended for.

But if a new machine or server out on the internet wants to start sending
packets to a machine within the 'inside' network (i.e. the Playstation 2 or
Home PC) it would try and initiate a new session, in this case the router
has no previous knowledge of who the packets are intended for. Port
forwarding is used to allow you to 'hard code' a specific a destination
address and port within the 'inside' network, for all packets sent to the
router from the internet on a specific port.

Using a Cisco router it is easy to forward specific ports.

Equipment Setup
Install and Configure the Playstation 2 Network Adapter as per the
instructions supplied, also see Playstation.com Installing the Network
Adaptor (Ethernet) for PlayStation 2.

Other computers may also be connected along with the Playstation 2 to the
router using a Switch or Hub.

Playstation 2 Network Address Setup
To be able to use port forwarding the Playstation 2 must have a static IP
address, as a dynamic IP address assigned with DHCP may change and this
would mean that the Port Forward address would be incorrect. Setup a static
IP address on the Playstation 2 as follows..

1. Switch on your PlayStation 2 and insert your Network Access Disc.
2. In the initial menu options, select Get Connected, then Advanced.

3. Select Edit Network Settings and Manual Settings
4. Enter a Static IP Address (for this example we will use 192.168.0.60)

5. Once you enter an IP Address, Netmask, and Default Router IP address,
proceed to enter these DNS numbers
6. From here you will also be able to go through the Network Adaptor setup,
and be told of the MAC address of your Network Adaptor. It may be a good
idea to write this MAC address and keep it somewhere safe, for future
reference.

Which Ports do you need to forward?
The basic ports that you will need to open in order to play PlayStation 2
network games are:

TCP Port: 53
TCP Port: 80
TCP Port: 443
As well as allowing ICMP
There may be other ports needed for specific games, the game manual should
state which ports are required in order to play the game networked. The
following games need ports opened:

SOCOM: US Navy Seals and Twisted Metal Black Online

TCP Ports: 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 6000 - 6999
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and Tony Hawk's Underground

UDP Port: 5150
FIFA 2004

UDP Ports: 6000, 3658
TCP Ports: 10400, 10401
Frequency and Amplitude

TCP Ports: 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 10070
Madden NFL 2003 and 2004

UDP ports 1791, 1792, 9995 and 9996.
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun

TCP Ports: 13505, 14300
UDP Ports: 3658, 3659, 6000, 6001 and 28500
Cisco Configuration
The configuration below is assuming that you have a working NAT
configuration on the Cisco router, for more information see the Cable Modem
Setup. Add the following lines to the Cisco config:

! Port forward basic TCP ports needed for Playstation 2 Network Gaming
ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.60 53 interface Ethernet0/1 53
ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.60 80 interface Ethernet0/1 80
ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.60 443 interface Ethernet0/1 443

! Port forward UDP port for Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4
ip nat inside source static udp 192.168.0.60 5150 interface Ethernet0/1 5150

This will take any packets sent from the internet to the router on the
specific ports, and forward them onto the Playstation 2 (which in this case
has the IP address 192.168.0.60).

It is also suggested that you make sure all ICMP packets are accepted, to do
this add the following line to your access-lists.

access-list 102 permit icmp any any

note: Any other firewalls will also need to unblock the ports above.

For More information

Playstation.com Network Gaming Guides

JLSNet Cisco Configs - Cable Modem

"Playststion" is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.