Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Port Security on mac-address(es)

Port Security on mac-address(es)

Manfred Steinbacher

Hallo

I have a network with 2 4006 and 14 3550 and 2 2950 cisco switches.
Now I want to allow only known mac-address access to the network. I known
that this switches have the feature for that but where can I found more
information about this topic.
Is it possible that I have a database with all allowed mac-addresses ?
Or ?

thanks for your help
manfred

Terry Baranski

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:41:46 +0100, "Manfred Steinbacher"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a network with 2 4006 and 14 3550 and 2 2950 cisco switches.
>Now I want to allow only known mac-address access to the network. I known
>that this switches have the feature for that but where can I found more
>information about this topic.
>Is it possible that I have a database with all allowed mac-addresses ?
>Or ?

Port Security for IOS-based switches is described at
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/....html#1038501;
for CatOS, see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801a1613.html.
If the 4006's are running CatOS you can use VMPS to set up a MAC
address database, per
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801a15d7.html.
Only CatOS-based switches can act as VMPS servers, however. IOS-based
switches can be VMPS clients, but you need at least 1 VMPS server.

-Terry