Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: Twisted 1.1.1

Reply
Thread Tools

ANN: Twisted 1.1.1

 
 
Itamar Shtull-Trauring
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Twisted is an event-driven networking framework for server and client
applications.

For more information, visit http://www.twistedmatrix.com, join the list
http://twistedmatrix.com/cgi-bin/mai...twisted-python or
visit us on #twisted at irc.freenode.net.

The Twisted from Scratch tutorial is a good starting point for learning
Twisted: http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/tutorial


What's New in 1.1.1
===================

- Many bug fixes and minor improvements.

- MSN protocol support updated to support MSN8P.

- Conch SSH client now supports SSH auth agent.


What is Twisted?
================

Twisted is an event-driven framework for building networked clients and
servers. It contains a powerful and simple networking core, a
full-featured suite of interoperable protocols, among them a powerful
web server and applications framework.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jarek Zgoda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Itamar Shtull-Trauring <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

> Twisted is an event-driven networking framework for server and client
> applications.
>
> For more information, visit http://www.twistedmatrix.com, join the list
> http://twistedmatrix.com/cgi-bin/mai...twisted-python or
> visit us on #twisted at irc.freenode.net.
>
> The Twisted from Scratch tutorial is a good starting point for learning
> Twisted: http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/howto/tutorial


I am really angry that I cann't write Twisted-based applications on daily
basis since I think it's really coolest network framework I could ever
dream of!

Writing one more asyncore/asynchat application ****es me off. Hate it.
Love it. Thanks God, it's Python, not Rexx, even not Java.

NP: The Cure - The Loudest Song

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1
http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:(E-Mail Removed) http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Cameron Laird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
In article <br7te2$8il$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jarek Zgoda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
.
[thoroughly deserved
praise for Twisted]
.
.
>Writing one more asyncore/asynchat application ****es me off. Hate it.
>Love it. Thanks God, it's Python, not Rexx, even not Java.

.
.
.
Think about that last just a bit more. Asyncore is SUCH an
upgrade over what most of the world is doing.
--

Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence Oluyede
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Cameron Laird) writes:

> .
> Think about that last just a bit more. Asyncore is SUCH an
> upgrade over what most of the world is doing.


Can you explain "over what most of the world is doing" a bit more?
I'm seriuosly interested.

--
Lawrence "Rhymes" Oluyede
http://loluyede.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jarek Zgoda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

>>Writing one more asyncore/asynchat application ****es me off. Hate it.
>>Love it. Thanks God, it's Python, not Rexx, even not Java.

> .
> Think about that last just a bit more. Asyncore is SUCH an
> upgrade over what most of the world is doing.


Yes, you are right, most of world still uses synchronous sockets.
AFAIK, asynchronous sockets are widely used in ObjectPascal (by way of
F. Piette's work), but I don't know any such complete (like these in
Python and ObjectPascal) implementation in other Popular Programming
Environments (Java is PPE, Rexx is my *local* PPE )

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1
http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:(E-Mail Removed) http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Irmen de Jong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Lawrence Oluyede wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Cameron Laird) writes:
>
>
>> .
>>Think about that last just a bit more. Asyncore is SUCH an
>>upgrade over what most of the world is doing.

>
>
> Can you explain "over what most of the world is doing" a bit more?
> I'm seriuosly interested.


[Perhaps a bit offtopic?:]

While you're at it-- is there somewhere a *recent* tutorial on
using asyncore/asynchat? Sam Rushing's one (found via Google)
is from 1999...
(I'm interested in using asyncore directly, not as part
of a framework such as Twisted or Medusa).

--Irmen.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jarek Zgoda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Irmen de Jong <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

>>>Think about that last just a bit more. Asyncore is SUCH an
>>>upgrade over what most of the world is doing.

>>
>> Can you explain "over what most of the world is doing" a bit more?
>> I'm seriuosly interested.

>
> [Perhaps a bit offtopic?:]
>
> While you're at it-- is there somewhere a *recent* tutorial on
> using asyncore/asynchat? Sam Rushing's one (found via Google)
> is from 1999...
> (I'm interested in using asyncore directly, not as part
> of a framework such as Twisted or Medusa).


Frederik Lundh has excellent chapter on network protocols with many
examples for asynchronous servers and clients in his "Python Standard
Library" book, available online at
http://effbot.org/zone/librarybook-index.htm

It's the best I have found.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1
http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:(E-Mail Removed) http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jarek Zgoda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Lawrence Oluyede <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

>> Think about that last just a bit more. Asyncore is SUCH an
>> upgrade over what most of the world is doing.

>
> Can you explain "over what most of the world is doing" a bit more?


Most of the world still blocks execution with synchronous sockets. Event
driven programming is not a wholly accepted idea.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User #-1
http://www.zgoda.biz/ JID:(E-Mail Removed) http://zgoda.jogger.pl/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Irmen de Jong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
Jarek Zgoda wrote:

> Frederik Lundh has excellent chapter on network protocols with many
> examples for asynchronous servers and clients in his "Python Standard
> Library" book, available online at
> http://effbot.org/zone/librarybook-index.htm


Thanks for the link, I'll go and read it!
And kudos to Fredrik for putting this stuff online.

--Irmen.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Just
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Cameron Laird) wrote:

> In article <br849l$qp9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jarek Zgoda <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[ ... ]
> >Most of the world still blocks execution with synchronous sockets. Event
> >driven programming is not a wholly accepted idea.

> .
> .
> .
> Sooooooo true. Hang out with Perlites or C++ians sometime;
> you'll hear them talk about how easy it is to do networking
> now, and then they start saying words like "fork" and "thread".
> My point is that their accepted concurrency models involve
> serious burdens in regard to performance and developmental
> fragility.
>
> Mr. Zgoda's right: event-driven networking remains poorly
> appreciated, and those of us who favor it find it MUCH
> preferable to the alternatives.


This ties nicely into the xsdb + stackless discussion:

- threads + blocking sockets is attractive since the code can be
written in a natural style, yet cause overhead and
synchronization headaches.

- async sockets are attractive because they avoid threads and
therefore avoid overhead and synchronization issues. Yet it
is often a bit harder to code, since you need to turn your
code inside out, using callbacks.

But there is a "perfect" solution: co-routines. With co-routines you can
both write the code in a "natural" style, but still using an even-driven
core. This is a very pleasant model to work with, so I totally
understand that some people (eg. Aaron) choose to use Stackless to make
this possible.

Just
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: [Twisted-Python] Twisted 13.0.0 released Glyph Python 0 04-03-2013 09:36 PM
Re: [Twisted-Python] Twisted 12.3.0 released Glyph Python 0 12-27-2012 06:40 AM
Re: [Twisted-Python] Re-working a synchronous iterator to use Twisted Jean-Paul Calderone Python 0 06-17-2008 10:14 PM
Re: Males are inherintly twisted. pimp_my_ride@126.com Digital Photography 18 04-08-2004 11:55 AM
Re: Males are inherintly twisted. YoureFired@cnnb.net Digital Photography 4 04-08-2004 11:54 AM



Advertisments