Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 828 Remote VPN

Cisco 828 Remote VPN

R. Bressers

Hi,

I have a very urgent question.
In the past, i configured many Cisco PIX's for remote VPN via the
standard Windows XP VPN client like this :

vpdn group 1 accept dialin pptp
vpdn group 1 ppp authentication mschap
vpdn group 1 ppp ecryption mppe 128 required
vpdn group 1 client configuration address local pptp-pool
vpdn group 1 client authentication local
vpdn group 1 pptp echo 60
vpdn enable outside

I want to configure Remote VPN on a Cisco 828 (and a 837), but i am not
sure if it's possible to configure this to use the standard (noobie) VPN
client in Windows XP.

Can anyone help me with this ?

Thanks in advance,

Remco Bressers

John Rennie

The 837 can be configured as you say. I don't think the 828 supports PPTP.

JR

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:33:07 +0100, "R. Bressers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a very urgent question.
>In the past, i configured many Cisco PIX's for remote VPN via the
>standard Windows XP VPN client like this :
>
>vpdn group 1 accept dialin pptp
>vpdn group 1 ppp authentication mschap
>vpdn group 1 ppp ecryption mppe 128 required
>vpdn group 1 client configuration address local pptp-pool
>vpdn group 1 client authentication local
>vpdn group 1 pptp echo 60
>vpdn enable outside
>
>I want to configure Remote VPN on a Cisco 828 (and a 837), but i am not
>sure if it's possible to configure this to use the standard (noobie) VPN
>client in Windows XP.
>
>Can anyone help me with this ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Remco Bressers

R. Bressers

Have you got any configuration examples for this? I cannot seem to find
any on the cisco website and very little on the web.
Maybe you can point me to someplace?
I thought that the 828 has the same firmware as the 837?!

Thanks !!

John Rennie wrote:
> The 837 can be configured as you say. I don't think the 828 supports PPTP.
>
> JR
>
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:33:07 +0100, "R. Bressers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a very urgent question.
>>In the past, i configured many Cisco PIX's for remote VPN via the
>>standard Windows XP VPN client like this :
>>
>>vpdn group 1 accept dialin pptp
>>vpdn group 1 ppp authentication mschap
>>vpdn group 1 ppp ecryption mppe 128 required
>>vpdn group 1 client configuration address local pptp-pool
>>vpdn group 1 client authentication local
>>vpdn group 1 pptp echo 60
>>vpdn enable outside
>>
>>I want to configure Remote VPN on a Cisco 828 (and a 837), but i am not
>>sure if it's possible to configure this to use the standard (noobie) VPN
>>client in Windows XP.
>>
>>Can anyone help me with this ?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Remco Bressers

John Rennie

http://www.ifm.net.nz/ is a useful resource, and
http://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/configwizard.html is a brilliant bit of
Javascripting. Trying to get anything useful off the Cisco website is
frustrating to say the least

Telnet into your 828 and issue a vpdn ? command. If you get a command unknown
response then it doesn't support PPTP. Also try aaa ? and see what happens. I
don't have a 828 to hand, but I think it only does lan to lan tunnels, not
dialin.

JR

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 09:22:11 +0100, "R. Bressers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Have you got any configuration examples for this? I cannot seem to find
>any on the cisco website and very little on the web.
>Maybe you can point me to someplace?
>I thought that the 828 has the same firmware as the 837?!
>

>Thanks !!
>
>John Rennie wrote:
>> The 837 can be configured as you say. I don't think the 828 supports PPTP.
>>
>> JR
>>
>> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 10:33:07 +0100, "R. Bressers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a very urgent question.
>>>In the past, i configured many Cisco PIX's for remote VPN via the
>>>standard Windows XP VPN client like this :
>>>
>>>vpdn group 1 accept dialin pptp
>>>vpdn group 1 ppp authentication mschap
>>>vpdn group 1 ppp ecryption mppe 128 required
>>>vpdn group 1 client configuration address local pptp-pool
>>>vpdn group 1 client authentication local
>>>vpdn group 1 pptp echo 60
>>>vpdn enable outside
>>>
>>>I want to configure Remote VPN on a Cisco 828 (and a 837), but i am not
>>>sure if it's possible to configure this to use the standard (noobie) VPN
>>>client in Windows XP.
>>>
>>>Can anyone help me with this ?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>Remco Bressers

R. Bressers

Thank you VERY much for this information .. This seems to be very useful.

Remco