Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to use the outp(...) command

How to use the outp(...) command

Todd Gardner

I think all I have to do is figure out how to use the outp(...)
command.

This is my first project in python and it seems a bit daunting. I am
trying to communicate to a custom device via the parallel port. At
this point I only want to write data to the data port. In my case the
memory address is x378.

I installed: Python 2.2, giveio_setup.exe and
pyparallel-0.1.win32-py2.2.exe. I was running Python2.3 but I don't
think that it will matter for this newbie project.

Many thanks for all of your pointers!

Todd

Terry Reedy

"Todd Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I think all I have to do is figure out how to use the outp(...)
> command.

Python itself does not have such a command. Is there something in standard
lib?

> This is my first project in python and it seems a bit daunting. I am
> trying to communicate to a custom device via the parallel port. At
> this point I only want to write data to the data port. In my case the
> memory address is x378.

Python itself is, generally, unaware of 'memory addresses'.

> I installed: Python 2.2, giveio_setup.exe and
> pyparallel-0.1.win32-py2.2.exe. I was running Python2.3 but I don't
> think that it will matter for this newbie project.

Perhaps giveio... and pyparallel... (which I don't remember any clp mention
of before today) have outp() and one of the docs will tell you more about
how to use it.

TJR

Todd Gardner

"Terry Reedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Todd Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I think all I have to do is figure out how to use the outp(...)
> > command.

> Python itself does not have such a command. Is there something in standard
> lib?

See the following module. I believe there is an outp() command like
in C if you use this module.

From: Gandalf ((E-Mail Removed))
Subject: Re: Writing to the parallel port (Mem 0x37 when runnning
WinXP or
> http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/pyparallel.html

> > This is my first project in python and it seems a bit daunting. I am
> > trying to communicate to a custom device via the parallel port. At
> > this point I only want to write data to the data port. In my case the
> > memory address is x378.

> Python itself is, generally, unaware of 'memory addresses'.
>
> > I installed: Python 2.2, giveio_setup.exe and
> > pyparallel-0.1.win32-py2.2.exe. I was running Python2.3 but I don't
> > think that it will matter for this newbie project.

> Perhaps giveio... and pyparallel... (which I don't remember any clp mention
> of before today) have outp() and one of the docs will tell you more about
> how to use it.
>
> TJR

I have not yet found docs that tell me how to use the functions
however, I am still betting the modules have them.

Todd

Todd Gardner

IT WORKS with version 2.2. ! Thank you Chris! I am not sure how I
can use version 2.3.

The code that I need to try it out was this... And I found it of all
places, in the docs... go figure
import parallel
p = parallel.Parallel() #open LPT1
p.setData(0x55)