Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Tkinter question: how to the red "Tk" window title bar icon?

Tkinter question: how to the red "Tk" window title bar icon?

John Benson

Hi, I'm using Tkinter and would like to know how to replace the red "Tk"
logo in the left corner of the title bar of the root window with some other
icon.

Another question for curiosity's sake:

I've often seen Tkinter referred to as the "standard" Python GUI. I assume
that this is because it may be the oldest and perhaps the most
cross-platform. Is that all that can be said for it? I've already heard
about the Tkinter interpretive overhead, but given the amazing increase in
CPU speeds recently, I wave my paw and just say "Bah!" (something I learned
from Dogbert). Any other comments?

Thanks in advance for any aid and comfort.

JanC

"John Benson" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> I've often seen Tkinter referred to as the "standard" Python GUI. I
> assume that this is because it may be the oldest and perhaps the most
> cross-platform. Is that all that can be said for it?

Tkinter is included with official Python releases, other GUI toolkits have
to be installed separately...

--
JanC

Howard Lightstone

"John Benson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi, I'm using Tkinter and would like to know how to replace the red
> "Tk" logo in the left corner of the title bar of the root window with
> some other icon.
>
> Another question for curiosity's sake:
>
> I've often seen Tkinter referred to as the "standard" Python GUI. I
> assume that this is because it may be the oldest and perhaps the most
> cross-platform. Is that all that can be said for it? I've already
> heard about the Tkinter interpretive overhead, but given the amazing
> increase in CPU speeds recently, I wave my paw and just say "Bah!"
> (something I learned from Dogbert). Any other comments?
>
> Thanks in advance for any aid and comfort.

Try hackicon if you are on Windoze
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hackicon/

Eric Brunel

Howard Lightstone wrote:
> "John Benson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Hi, I'm using Tkinter and would like to know how to replace the red
>>"Tk" logo in the left corner of the title bar of the root window with
>>some other icon.
>>
>>Another question for curiosity's sake:
>>
>>I've often seen Tkinter referred to as the "standard" Python GUI. I
>>assume that this is because it may be the oldest and perhaps the most
>>cross-platform. Is that all that can be said for it? I've already
>>heard about the Tkinter interpretive overhead, but given the amazing
>>increase in CPU speeds recently, I wave my paw and just say "Bah!"
>>(something I learned from Dogbert). Any other comments?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any aid and comfort.
>>

> Try hackicon if you are on Windoze
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hackicon/

On reasonably recent versions of tcl/tk, the methods iconbitmap and iconmask on
instances of Toplevel (or Tk) should work on Unices and Windows. See the
corresponding commands for tk at:
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkCmd/wm.htm

HTH
--
- Eric Brunel <eric dot brunel at pragmadev dot com> -

Vincent Rioux

Hi,

I know how to use dnd between two Tkinter windows
but do not know if it is possible to receive a dnd call when dragging a
file/folder icon from a window manager (e.g. winxp explorer, nautilus...)
to a Tk window?

/vr