Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyCon Wiki: tender loving care needed

PyCon Wiki: tender loving care needed

Steve Holden

Hello. You may be wondering about PyCon DC 2004, the media having been
noticeably quiet on the topic recently. You should be seeing an announcement
about registration Real Soon Now. The chairman is a real slacker, so nothing
much has happened yet

In the meantime, for those of you who might be wondering "what can *little
old me* do to help the Python community?", there's a major opportunity going
begging in the PyCon section of the python.org wiki. If you donn't know
anything about wikis, you could do worse than take a look at

http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

The PyCon section of the python.org wiki really starts, I suppose, at

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyCon

The trouble is that there's a good amount of material about *this* year's
conference, which we need to archive in some relatively organized way and
then get ready for the exciting stuff that's going to happen *next* year.

The nature of wiki is particularly anarchic, which appeals to some and
appalls others. If you find the idea appealling rather than appalling I'd be
very grateful if you would become a PyConWikiGnome (see
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiGnome) - this would be an invaluable service to
the community, with the advantage that it requires more everyday skills than
those of the megaprogrammers who normally inhabit these corridors. So if
you're looking for some way to help but don't feel you know enough about
Python, here's a job that mostly needs editing and organizational skills.
Please help if you can. Yes, this *does* mean you.

See you at PyCon DC 2004, I hope, for more fun and lots of Python.

regards
--
Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

Mike Rovner

Steve Holden wrote:
> The trouble is that there's a good amount of material about *this*
> year's conference, which we need to archive in some relatively
> organized way and then get ready for the exciting stuff that's going
> to happen *next* year.

Manual rearrangement is very tedious. It's better to have a script to move
almost all PyCon part under PyCon2003 or PyCon/2003 and ajust links.
However that requires direct access to the wiki.

Mike

Peter Hansen

Mike Rovner wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
> > The trouble is that there's a good amount of material about *this*
> > year's conference, which we need to archive in some relatively
> > organized way and then get ready for the exciting stuff that's going
> > to happen *next* year.

> Manual rearrangement is very tedious. It's better to have a script to move
> almost all PyCon part under PyCon2003 or PyCon/2003 and ajust links.
> However that requires direct access to the wiki.

Without having seen the wiki pages, I can't be sure, but I suspect
they contain some "dated" information which would be wrong or confusing
if it were just mechanically renamed to new pages. For example, there
are probably lots of pages with future references to this that will
happen, yet the 2003 convention is of course in the past.

I suspect what Steve wants is people who are willing/able to pull
out any information that *still has relevance*, and remove the remainder.

Yes, the request is ambiguous, but so are wikis.

-Peter

Mike Rovner

Peter Hansen wrote:
> I suspect what Steve wants is people who are willing/able to pull
> out any information that *still has relevance*, and remove the
> remainder.

I wish I had visited PC03 to separate one from another.

Mike

PyCon 2011 Reminder: Call for Proposals,Posters and Tutorials - us.pycon.org Jesse Noller Python 0 10-26-2010 12:57 AM
OT: I don't care -- because YOU don't care! TPS Report MCSE 2 10-23-2006 02:51 PM
PyCon is Coming! PyCon is Coming! Steve Holden Python 0 01-05-2006 11:53 AM
Loving Enums Roedy Green Java 2 07-13-2005 12:31 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: LOVING WALTER, THE PACT OF SILENCE, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 11-26-2003 10:04 AM

Advertisments