Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Access Points and IRB

Access Points and IRB

David Williams

Hello all,
I have a general question about access points
and IRB. I was wondering why do we have to
enter 'bridge irb' on the AP? What does
IRB have to do with this? Why does the AP
have a BVI1 interface?
I must admit
I don't much about IRB other than it involves
bridging so if someone can explain I would
appreciate it. Does this involved the fact
that an access point can act as a bridge
i.e. connect two wired networks?

If someone can point me to a doc that would
be great.

Thanks,
--
David Williams

Aaron Leonard

I don't think we have any document that really explains
the theory behind using IRB on the AP. Basically,
a BVI is a software interface that is used for layer 3
configuration of a bridge group. On the AP (assuming
no VLANs), the FastEthernet0 and the Dot11Radio0 interfaces
will be in bridge-group 1, and the BVI1 interface allows
you to configure layer 3 stuff (like an IP address) that
applies to bridge-group 1.

So layer 3 stuff goes on BVI1; layer 2 stuff would go
on FastEthernet0 and/or Dot11Radio0.

Aaron

---

~