Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > pyOpenGL for python 2.3

pyOpenGL for python 2.3

Jimmy Johns

Hi, why hasn't there a version of pyOpenGL for python 2.3.x yet? Currently
the binary installers for windows only work with python 2.2, and will give
an when installing for python 2.3. I can't build it either unless I build
python 2.3 from source as well. Is there a work around available?? Thanks
in advance.

-s

Mike C. Fletcher

Jimmy Johns wrote:

>Hi, why hasn't there a version of pyOpenGL for python 2.3.x yet?

Because no one with MSVC++ 6.0 has stepped up to package it yet . I
don't have access to a copy of VC++ that can be used for externally
released applications, so I need someone to do the build and produce a
package for redistribution.

>Currently
>the binary installers for windows only work with python 2.2, and will give
>an when installing for python 2.3.

Yes, PyOpenGL is a binary package that is linked to specific Python and
Numpy versions. You cannot use a binary created for Python 2.2 with
Python 2.3.

>I can't build it either unless I build
>python 2.3 from source as well.

Actually, that's not a requirement. Building requires only the Python
2.3 distributed from python.org, VC++ and the various .lib and .h files
as outlined on the installation page.

>Is there a work around available??

Arthur has a "minimal" installer available, but it's missing the OpenGL
extensions:
http://www.google.ca/groups?selm=mai...t%40python.org

Note: Tk support is not available under Python 2.3 in any version of
PyOpenGL.

If you do have VC++ 6.0, then you just need to follow the build
instructions linked off the homepage.

>Thanks
>in advance.

Enjoy,
Mike

_______________________________________
Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/

KefX

I built PyOpenGL with a binary of Python 2.3 just fine, once I grabbed all the
needed dependencies. What was your problem?

- Kef

>Hi, why hasn't there a version of pyOpenGL for python 2.3.x yet? Currently
>the binary installers for windows only work with python 2.2, and will give
>an when installing for python 2.3. I can't build it either unless I build
>python 2.3 from source as well. Is there a work around available?? Thanks
>in advance.

Jimmy Johns

my problem is that I use vs .net.

any solutions for this setup?