Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python busting out

Python busting out

Vepxistqaosani

At my firm -- which must remain anonymous, I guess -- I'm the only
Pythoneer. We are strongly encouraged to use only "Approved Technologies".

However, we are even more strongly encouraged to get the job done; when
Python is obviously superior to the alternatives, I can use Python.

For instance, our Approved Technology for database reporting is Cognos
Impromptu. But a recent report I had to write in Cognos involved a
20-way self-join of a 90-column view (don't ask). This was not an ideal
solution. Since the final format was an Excel file, I volunteered to do
it in Python. Python can run the same report in 1/20 the time and do all
the formatting via Excel VBA.

They still want me to figure out how to do this with Cognos, but they're
so happy with the Python solution, they've forgotten to pressure me on
the issue.

The end result is that other folks around the company are getting
interested in Python.

So who needs books when you can offer performance?

Jegenye 2001 Bt

Lovely story about the coolness of Python and the PHB effect... <grin>

Miklós

Vepxistqaosani <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hU6tb.10805$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> At my firm -- which must remain anonymous, I guess -- I'm the only
> Pythoneer. We are strongly encouraged to use only "Approved Technologies".

[snip]
> So who needs books when you can offer performance?

Ben Finney

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:53:49 GMT, Vepxistqaosani wrote:
> At my firm -- which must remain anonymous, I guess -- I'm the only
> Pythoneer. We are strongly encouraged to use only "Approved
> Technologies".
> [...]
> They still want me to figure out how to do this with [existing
> Approved Technology], but they're so happy with the Python solution,
> they've forgotten to pressure me on the issue.

Your task is not complete. One important step remains: exert pressure,
via this sterling example and any others you can find, that Python
should *be* an Approved Technology for the company.

--
\ "When we call others dogmatic, what we really object to is |
`\ their holding dogmas that are different from our own." -- |