Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco AIR-LMC340 wireless adapter

Cisco AIR-LMC340 wireless adapter

Matt Pierce

I took an air-PCI340 apart and am trying to used the AIR-LMC340
wireless adapter to work under Linux. I insert the card, and cardctrl
status shows no card. The cards led will blink on then off. I can
use the Cisco AIR-PCM340 with no problems, and as I understand they
use the same drivers. Windows will recognize the card. I downloaded
the 4.5.30 bios from cisco and load it into the card using the windows
utility.

after inserting the card /var/log/messages gives this error
PCMCIA: socket cf43242c: time out after reset
PCMCIA: socket cf43242c: time out after reset

I'm running Gentoo
Kernel 2.6.3

I have the Cisco Aironet 34x/35x/4500/4800 isa and pci cars, and Cisco
Aironet 34x/35x/4500/4800 PCMCIA modules build in kernel.

I have yenta-sockets set as my card manager.

I don't think this is a module issue because cardctl doesn't see the
socket as active.

Thanks for the help

Dan Lanciani

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matt Pierce) writes:
| I took an air-PCI340 apart and am trying to used the AIR-LMC340
| wireless adapter to work under Linux. I insert the card, and cardctrl
| status shows no card. The cards led will blink on then off. I can
| use the Cisco AIR-PCM340 with no problems, and as I understand they
| use the same drivers. Windows will recognize the card. I downloaded
| the 4.5.30 bios from cisco and load it into the card using the windows
| utility.
|

| after inserting the card /var/log/messages gives this error
| PCMCIA: socket cf43242c: time out after reset
| PCMCIA: socket cf43242c: time out after reset

Ever since the 4800A the PCMCIA vs. ISA/PCI flag has been hard-wired in the
bootblock. (Before that the card would auto-detect based on one of the
supply lines.) To use your card in a PCMCIA slot you would have to replace
the bootblock. Unfortunately, although I can rewrite the bootblock on a
PCMCIA-capable card (and even turn it into a PCI card) I can't reverse the
process since the bootblock updater image I have doesn't run on PCI/ISA
cards (I'm not clear why). If anyone has an updater that works on PCI/ISA
cards I'd like to hear about it...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com