Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python 2.3.2 and openbsd 3.4

python 2.3.2 and openbsd 3.4

Yuri Pimenov

Hello, all.

Im trying to build python 2.3.2 on openbsd 3.4.
First of all, ./configure complains several times about unability to
test sys/select.h, sys/lock.h files:

checking ncurses.h usability... no
checking ncurses.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking sys/audioio.h usability... no
checking sys/audioio.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/audioio.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to (E-Mail Removed). ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking sys/lock.h usability... no
checking sys/lock.h presence...
configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/lock.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to (E-Mail Removed). ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking sys/select.h usability... no
checking sys/select.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/select.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's
result
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING: ## Report this to (E-Mail Removed). ##
configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------ ##

then, after gmake all i got:

icct@service ..ild/Python-2.3.2% gmake all
gcc -pthread -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Modules/python.o
Modules/python.c
In file included from /usr/include/sys/select.h:38,
from Include/pyport.h:118,
from Include/Python.h:48,
from Modules/python.c:3:
/usr/include/sys/event.h:53: syntax error before `u_int'
/usr/include/sys/event.h:55: syntax error before `u_short'
gmake: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1

Any ideas how to fix this?
Btw, python 2.2.x builds without a single complain.
--
Yuri Pimenov

Andrew MacIntyre

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Yuri Pimenov wrote:

> Im trying to build python 2.3.2 on openbsd 3.4.
> First of all, ./configure complains several times about unability to
> test sys/select.h, sys/lock.h files:

{...}

> Any ideas how to fix this?

Figure out what is broken in, or missing from, your system's headers.

Then figure out how to work around the broken/missing bits. Insert
appropriate #defines in relevant files and teach configure.in how to
activate them.

In particular, I recall there being some fiddling required to get certain
BSD APIs properly activated (BSD_SOURCE??).

> Btw, python 2.2.x builds without a single complain.

Lots changed in the configure machinery between 2.2.x and 2.3.x.

--
Andrew I MacIntyre "These thoughts are mine alone..."
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed) (pref) | Snail: PO Box 370

Anthony Baxter

>>> Yuri Pimenov wrote

> Hello, all.
>
> Im trying to build python 2.3.2 on openbsd 3.4.
> First of all, ./configure complains several times about unability to
> test sys/select.h, sys/lock.h files:

Hopefully this will be fixed with the newly-released version of autoconf.
In the meantime, can you please log a bug in the Python SF tracker - if
possible, attach the relevant bits of config.log to the bug report.

Anthony
--
Anthony Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)>