Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [newbie] GTK+/QT/Tkinter ?

[newbie] GTK+/QT/Tkinter ?

Alexandre Rogers

Hi everyone !

I am beginner in Python, and it is, so far, the best programming
language I've seen (apart, perhaps, from Java, but the official release
is not open source, so it is a bit difficult for redistribution).

I'm working on a (personal) project and I need a GUI, which needs to be
portable (I run a Linux system and I'd like my program to run on
Windows, at least).

I first thought of Qt with Eric and Qt designer, but it is not portable
(for free).
Then GTK. Looks great (with Glade) but is it really portable or not ?

I know a bit about Tkinter, which I like although it is not the most
attractive.
Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?

Many thanks in advance,

Alex

PS : If you want to email me, my user nam is 'cyberalex' and the domain
name is 'tiscali.fr'.

Cameron Laird

In article <bogihl$7a3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alexandre Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
.
.
.
>Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?

.
.
.
"Idle is the Python IDE built with the Tkinter GUI toolkit." It's
part of the standard distribution.

There are several others. Apparently there's not yet a Wiki page
dedicated to the topic, though there should be.
--

Cameron Laird <(E-Mail Removed)>
Business: http://www.Phaseit.net

Tim Ronning

På Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:51:11 +0100, skrev Alexandre Rogers <alex@this-is-
not-a-real-email-address.com>:

> Hi everyone !
>
> I am beginner in Python, and it is, so far, the best programming language
> I've seen (apart, perhaps, from Java, but the official release is not
> open source, so it is a bit difficult for redistribution).
>
> I'm working on a (personal) project and I need a GUI, which needs to be
> portable (I run a Linux system and I'd like my program to run on Windows,
> at least).
>
> I first thought of Qt with Eric and Qt designer, but it is not portable
> (for free).
> Then GTK. Looks great (with Glade) but is it really portable or not ?
>
> I know a bit about Tkinter, which I like although it is not the most
> attractive.
> Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?
>

> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Alex

Hi there

One alternative you could try is FLTK with the pyfltk wrapper. It's
multiplatform, pure GPL GUI toolkit. FLTK comes with "Fluid" a really nice
and easy gui builder. The output of Fluid can be converted to python via
flconvert which is a tool for pyfltk.
I'm trying FLTK out now, and beeing a beginner like you, I find it quite
easy to work with.
You could still use Eric, it's a great code editor. It has some bugs
though, but thats another story.

FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
pyfltk: http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/index.html

Best regards
Tim R.

Alexandre Rogers

Tim Ronning wrote:

> Hi there
>
> One alternative you could try is FLTK with the pyfltk wrapper. It's
> multiplatform, pure GPL GUI toolkit. FLTK comes with "Fluid" a really
> nice and easy gui builder. The output of Fluid can be converted to
> python via flconvert which is a tool for pyfltk.
> I'm trying FLTK out now, and beeing a beginner like you, I find it
> quite easy to work with.
> You could still use Eric, it's a great code editor. It has some bugs
> though, but thats another story.
>
> FLTK: http://www.fltk.org/
> pyfltk: http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/index.html
>
> Best regards
> Tim R.

Thank you very much!

FLTK & Fluid look great, though I can't install pyfltk (it halts during
compilation and prints out it doesn't like ld -lGL... anyway, this is
not the place for, I'll try the mailing list).

Many thanks again,

Alex

Svenne Krap

Alexandre Rogers wrote:
> Is there an IDE/GUI builder for Tkinter ?

Try looking at wxPython (the framework, http://www.wxpython.org) and
wxGlade (the GUI-builder, http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/)

I find wxPython extremely pleassant to work with.

Svenne