Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Programming in Python

Programming in Python

Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos

Hi all,

I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.

Best regards,
--

Paulo J. Matos : http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Instituto Superior Tecnico - Lisbon

Mikhail Esteves

Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:16:34
+0000, had to say:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
> Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
> for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.

There are lots. I personally use gvim [1]. A small Google search revealed
this site which may help you further:

http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/la...ython/editors/

Cheers,
Mikhail

[1] http://www.vim.org/

Emile van Sebille

Mikhail Esteves
> There are lots. I personally use gvim [1]. A small Google search revealed
> this site which may help you further:
>
> http://sunsite.bilkent.edu.tr/pub/la...ython/editors/

This looks like an updated version:

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonEditors

Emile van Sebille
(E-Mail Removed)

Todd Stephens

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:16:34 -0500, Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de
Matos wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
> Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
> for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.
>
> Best regards,

Others have posted links to good editor lists. From those lists, my
personal favorite is Jed, if I am using the console. If I am in a GUI
environment, I like to use Kate (part of KDE).

--
Todd Stephens

Dennis Lee Bieber

Mikhail Esteves fed this fish to the penguins on Thursday 30 October
2003 15:33 pm:

(for some reason the original post is not on my system -- suspect it
failed some filter)

> Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos, on Thu, 30 Oct 2003
> 22:16:34 +0000, had to say:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
>> Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One
>> Editor for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in
>> Python.

> There are lots. I personally use gvim [1]. A small Google search
> revealed this site which may help you further:

For Quick&Dirty, I tend to just invoke Idle.

For more complex stuff, gvim invoked from a console lets me use the
console for running while the editor has its own window. The advantage
of the console/gvim pair is that I can fiddle with data/scratch files
directly.

> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Alexander Schmolck

Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to know what you people from Linux world use to program in
> Python. I'm new to Python and I don't know if [X]Emacs is the One Editor
> for Python (also!) or if there is a nice IDE to program in Python.

I'd recommend ipython + emacs. Apart from the fact that emacs is simply the
most powerful general purpose editor, the python support is also pretty good
(apart from editing support (such as block shifting commands) there is a good
integration with an interactive ipython session, so not only do you get
ipython's readable tracebacks but you can also easily jump to the actual
files/line where the problem occured etc.). Also try @pdb on.

'as