Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok??

Re: Why Python style guide (PEP-8) says 4 space indents instead of8 space??? 8 space indents ever ok??

Ian Bicking

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 02:07 AM, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On 2003-10-23, Christian Seberino <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Each has trade offs.... I don't like breaking last line into 2 pieces
>> but at least "class", "def", "for" and "if" don't blend into each
>> other as easily as in the 2nd example.

> They blend in? How so? 8 spaces is way too far for the eyes, or
> at least
> *my* eyes, to skip without causing serious pauses. 2 spaces, while I
> use it
> immensely in my Perl days, is where blending occurs. 4 spaces it's
> pretty
> clear that the next line down is a separate block while not having to
> jump
> partway to Siberia to indicate it.

Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
indents.

--
Ian Bicking | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) | http://blog.ianbicking.org

John Baxter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ian Bicking <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
> indents.

No, we should insist on 8-character tabs. They were inherited into Unix
from Teletype machines with fixed 8 column tabs...how DARE we second
guess Teletype Corporation?

Seriously, I'm happy with four space indents (I usually use 2 in the
interpreter window). And happy with editors which "see" a tab key and
understand "next four postion using spaces" and which indent
automatically anyhow.

--John (who only goes back as far as the Model 1

--
Email to above address discarded by provider's server. Don't bother sending.

Michael Hudson

Ian Bicking <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Okay, okay, let's just compromise somewhere in between: 5 character
> indents.

7.5!

Cheers,
mwh

--
34. The string is a stark data structure and everywhere it is
passed there is much duplication of process. It is a perfect