Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > GBIC & a 3548 Switch

GBIC & a 3548 Switch

blw

Does anyone know if the GBICs on a 3548 switch can be connected directly
to a fiber NIC, instead of being used for inter-switch connections? I
recently saw some material that the GBICs can be used to connect to a
1000Mb fiber NIC. I was under the impression that most GBICs are for
inter-switch connections.

Thanks.

Bryan

Doug McIntyre

blw <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Does anyone know if the GBICs on a 3548 switch can be connected directly
>to a fiber NIC, instead of being used for inter-switch connections? I
>recently saw some material that the GBICs can be used to connect to a
>1000Mb fiber NIC. I was under the impression that most GBICs are for
>inter-switch connections.

They don't care what they get hooked up to, end-station or a
switch. Just have to get the receive/transmit fibers going straight or
crossed depending on what you are doing.

--
Doug McIntyre http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades

Paul Hardy

Dont know if its down to model of the gbic but I have used the short hall
ones to connect to the intel cards

Paul
"blw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if the GBICs on a 3548 switch can be connected directly
> to a fiber NIC, instead of being used for inter-switch connections? I
> recently saw some material that the GBICs can be used to connect to a
> 1000Mb fiber NIC. I was under the impression that most GBICs are for
> inter-switch connections.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bryan

Gray

Another tip is check encapsulation settings, trunking off etc, leave as much
on auto until works - but do check for significant errors under traffic as
that could be auto-duplex mismatch etc.
Just trial & test the settings, easy enough to check thru the command ref's
or use the ? option before commiting to config change if you have limited
downtime.

"blw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if the GBICs on a 3548 switch can be connected directly
> to a fiber NIC, instead of being used for inter-switch connections? I
> recently saw some material that the GBICs can be used to connect to a
> 1000Mb fiber NIC. I was under the impression that most GBICs are for
> inter-switch connections.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bryan

How to retreive MAC table from 3548 switch snmp or RMON? joe@via.net Cisco 0 01-18-2006 02:50 AM
Replace flash on a Cisco Catalyst 3548 switch Eddy Cisco 4 03-04-2005 05:23 PM
Are GBIC's Hot Pluggable into a 3524XL switch? SMB Cisco 2 02-02-2005 01:07 AM
Switch 3548 Giorgione Cisco 1 04-20-2004 08:47 PM
Reset whole config of a Cisco Catalyst 3548 XL switch Syn Cisco 1 10-17-2003 12:59 PM

Advertisments