Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: BIG successes of Lisp (was ...)

Re: BIG successes of Lisp (was ...)

mike420@ziplip.com

> Scott McKay wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:BYIFD1LVHXB1ALLZLRH3P2BZOIIFHWLSJ4B4BRP3@zipl ip.com...
>>
>>>In the context of LATEX, some Pythonista asked what the big
>>>successes of Lisp were. I think there were at least three big
>>>successes.

>>>a. AFAIK Orbitz frequently has to be shut down for maintenance
>>>(read "full garbage collection" - I'm just guessing: with
>>>generational garbage collection, you still have to do full
>>>garbage collection once in a while, and on a system like that
>>>it can take a while)
>>>

>> Not true. The servers do get restarted a couple of times
>> a day to get new data loads, which are huge.

How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time. For comparison,
Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

Jon S. Anthony

> > Scott McKay wrote:

> >> Not true. The servers do get restarted a couple of times
> >> a day to get new data loads, which are huge.

> How pathetic. "Server farm" notwithstanding, the WHOLE WEB
> SITE gets closed for prolonged periods of time.

Sounds broken to me - irrespective of any language used.

> For comparison, Travelocity and Expedia are up 24/7.

The sad thing is this is about the only thing they have going for
them.

/Jon