Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > reasonably priced reporting solution

reasonably priced reporting solution

Larry goodman

I need to do some fairly simple printing with a python client app.
Are there any good reporting tools that either work with python
directly or work with XML that are reasonably priced? Server side PDF
generation would be fine too.

Reasonably priced would be $200-$300 range.

Thanks a lot

Paul Rubin

Larry goodman <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I need to do some fairly simple printing with a python client app.
> Are there any good reporting tools that either work with python
> directly or work with XML that are reasonably priced? Server side PDF
> generation would be fine too.
>
> Reasonably priced would be $200-$300 range.

See http://www.reportlab.org for example.

Larry goodman

>See http://www.reportlab.org for example.

But this is free for only GPL apps right? My app will be closed
source. The only price i see there is 25,000 for their enterprise SDK
and that is way out of my range.

Paul Rubin

Larry goodman <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >See http://www.reportlab.org for example.

> But this is free for only GPL apps right? My app will be closed
> source. The only price i see there is 25,000 for their enterprise SDK
> and that is way out of my range.

According to their developers faq:

The ReportLab toolkit and most of our other Open Source tools are
available under the BSD license. This means that you can basically do
anything you want with it, including using it in a commercial package.

So you should be ok.

Robin Becker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Rubin <http@?.cx>
writes
>Larry goodman <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >See http://www.reportlab.org for example.

>> But this is free for only GPL apps right? My app will be closed
>> source. The only price i see there is 25,000 for their enterprise SDK
>> and that is way out of my range.

>According to their developers faq:
>
> The ReportLab toolkit and most of our other Open Source tools are
> available under the BSD license. This means that you can basically do
> anything you want with it, including using it in a commercial package.
>
>So you should be ok.

That is indeed true! At Andy Robinson's command I copied the template
BSD license and tried to insert the relevant data in the right places.

Personally I prefer the ASL (Anarchist Software License)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=an...se&hl=en&lr=&i
e=UTF-8&selm=igRpPUAi30U2Ewmt%40jessikat.demon.co.uk&rnu m=1

but Andy differs as he's a bit more serious.
--
Robin Becker

Larry goodman

Very nice. I guess the 25k is for support. Thanks.