Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > complicated

complicated

Martijn van den Branden

Hi group,

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice on
reading material or point me in a direction to proceed, as the information
I can find on the subject is kind of overwhelming to me. I'm not even
sure where to look.

My problem is the following: I have to create a GUI in win2k. For this, I
thought Python
would come in handy. And from what i've read (wxwindows and all), this
should
be quite straightforward. The user input will define a set of design
parameters and
design boundaries (for those interested, the design is a wing).

Now comes the tricky part. Please read on . The actual parametric design
description
resides in the ICAD Design Language (IDL), which is a superset of Allegro
Common Lisp
(ACL), running as a sub-process (or whatever it is called it i'm not sure)
in Emacs.

I would like to be able to instantiate a specific design from Python, i.e.
feed parameters
from Python to ACL and possibly running some analysis in IDL after which
some
response concerning the design is fed back to Python, after which Python
decides to
instantiate a new design, etc. etc.

I would like to avoid starting up and closing down ICAD for each
instantiation from
Python, though it is the only way I can think of.

(Any other way would involve setting up some interface which is probably an
advanced programming problem?).

Thanks in advance for your anwers,

Martijn

Lee Harr

> My problem is the following: I have to create a GUI in win2k. For this, I
> thought Python
> would come in handy. And from what i've read (wxwindows and all), this
> should
> be quite straightforward. The user input will define a set of design
> parameters and
> design boundaries (for those interested, the design is a wing).
>
> Now comes the tricky part. Please read on . The actual parametric design
> description
> resides in the ICAD Design Language (IDL), which is a superset of Allegro
> Common Lisp
> (ACL), running as a sub-process (or whatever it is called it i'm not sure)
> in Emacs.
>
> I would like to be able to instantiate a specific design from Python, i.e.
> feed parameters
> from Python to ACL and possibly running some analysis in IDL after which
> some
> response concerning the design is fed back to Python, after which Python
> decides to
> instantiate a new design, etc. etc.
>
> I would like to avoid starting up and closing down ICAD for each
> instantiation from
> Python, though it is the only way I can think of.

This sounds more like an ICAD question than a python question. For instance,
how would you do the same thing from say C, C++, perl, or VB?

My recommendation is to break it down in to smaller pieces until you can
get a handle on exactly what it is that you need to do. You may want to
look in the ICAD documentation (or even generally) for "interprocess
communincation" or IPC or xml-rpc.