Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > show cluster candidates shows nothing

show cluster candidates shows nothing

Joel M. Baldwin

I have a bunch of 2950G 48 EI L2 switches attached in star formation to a
single 3750G 24TS S L3 switch. The 3750 is doing L2 switching, not L3
routing.

I'm trying to set up the 2950 switches into a couple of command clusters.

However a 'show cluster candidates' command from the 2950's shows only
the 3750. None of the other 2950s shows up! If I do it from the 3750 I
see all the switches attached to the 3750.

Am I doing something wrong here? Shouldn't all the 2950's see all the
others as candidates?

Or is the 3750 blocking the cluster discovery traffic somehow? What could
be causing this?

What ARE the requirements for a cluster? Do they have to all be in the
same broadcast domain?

Will I be able to have a cluster be comprised of switches on different
subnets? i.e. after I go to L3 routing on the 3750.

ADVthaAnksNCE

Ivan Golovin

Hi!

Can 2950G switches see each other via the CDP? What do they show with 'show
cdp neighbors'?

You can read about cluster command and member switch requirements here:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...g/scg_clus.htm

--
Ivan

"Joel M. Baldwin" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns949677313F521qumqatscalwebcom@66.250.146.1 50...

> I have a bunch of 2950G 48 EI L2 switches attached in star formation to a
> single 3750G 24TS S L3 switch. The 3750 is doing L2 switching, not L3
> routing.
>
> I'm trying to set up the 2950 switches into a couple of command clusters.
>
> However a 'show cluster candidates' command from the 2950's shows only
> the 3750. None of the other 2950s shows up! If I do it from the 3750 I
> see all the switches attached to the 3750.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here? Shouldn't all the 2950's see all the
> others as candidates?
>
> Or is the 3750 blocking the cluster discovery traffic somehow? What could
> be causing this?
>
> What ARE the requirements for a cluster? Do they have to all be in the
> same broadcast domain?
>
> Will I be able to have a cluster be comprised of switches on different
> subnets? i.e. after I go to L3 routing on the 3750.
>
> ADVthaAnksNCE

Joel M. Baldwin

"Ivan Golovin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsmt_b.50064$(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: show cluster candidates shows nothing
> From: "Ivan Golovin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.dcom.sys.cisco
>
> Hi!
>
> Can 2950G switches see each other via the CDP? What do they show with
> 'show cdp neighbors'?

'show cdp neighbors' on a 2950G shows only the 3750 switch. This
makes sense since cdp only discovers 1 hop away devices.

'show cdp neighbors' on the 3750 shows all the attached 2950Gs.

I'm starting to wonder if I have a IOS bug going on. I noticed a mention
in the release notes about cluster candidates not being discovered on
devices attached to the 3750 so I deleted the cluster the 3750 was in
( just itself ) and now I can see >SOME< of the other 2950Gs when I do
a 'show cluster candidates' from a 2950G.

It appears that the 3750 has to have 'cluster run' set but not be
a cluster manager for the attached 2950Gs to discover any candidates.