Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Nuclear Python?

Nuclear Python?

Anand Pillai

I just heard from a friend that the Indian Dept of Atomic Energy
uses python in its nuclear simulation engine, run on Param Super
computers.

Dont know this for sure, but it amazes me as to the capabilities
of Python!

-ABP

John J. Lee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Anand Pillai) writes:

> I just heard from a friend that the Indian Dept of Atomic Energy
> uses python in its nuclear simulation engine, run on Param Super
> computers.
>
> Dont know this for sure, but it amazes me as to the capabilities
> of Python!

Python's actually used quite a bit in scientific computations. That's
where I first used it, actually. Of course, performance critical
stuff is in Fortran or C, and lots of libraries in those languages get
used.

David Beazley of SWIG fame started the SWIG project to use Python to
drive big molecular dynamics simulations and analyse the resulting
data (the latter sometimes involves big computational resources in
itself).

Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
wrap-able!-)

John

achrist@easystreet.com

"John J. Lee" wrote:

> Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
> codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
> not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
> wrap-able!-)

Python is noted for its poor machine efficiency vs Fortran, etc.
However, these huge Fortran codes are noted for their poor efficiency
when run all weekend on a supercomputer with bad code or incorrect
parameters. Wrapping some UI, preferably GUI with charts and graphs,
around them to see if they are running at all reasonably is a big
improvement in efficiency. A large proportion of the runs intended
to crunch numbers until a week from Tuesday give away their deficiency
of correctness or relevance within a few minutes after they start,
if they are monitored astutely.

This is a humongousish increase of efficiency -- cancelling a multi-day
run that was going to be a water-haul.

Al

Tim Churches

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 03:18, Anand Pillai wrote:
> I just heard from a friend that the Indian Dept of Atomic Energy
> uses python in its nuclear simulation engine, run on Param Super
> computers.

So do their Pakistani counterparts, and since the scientists involved
actually believe in the MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine,
they secretly exchange Python code with each other to ensure nuclear
parity. But the Israelis use Perl, thank goodness...

No, not really. What a world we live in.
--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0

Dennis Lee Bieber

John J. Lee fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 07 October 2003
17:08 pm:

> Mind you, if you've ever attempted to read some of the huge Fortran
> codes that get written by scientists, you'll understand why it might
> not always be a good idea to touch them in order to make them easily
> wrap-able!-)

Heck, just reading the /documentation/ for NEC-2 is horrid...

It's the only application I've ever seen that had to be compiled into
versions for different memory sizes...

> (E-Mail Removed) | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <

Stephen Horne

On 08 Oct 2003 16:09:59 +1000, Tim Churches <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So do their Pakistani counterparts, and since the scientists involved
>actually believe in the MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine,

It might, perhaps, be interesting to note that 'MAD' also refers to
Mixed Anxiety and Depression (Abnormal Psychology, Ronald J. Comer).
This double (well, triple really) meaning seems somehow appropriate.

There's also the classic 'SAD' for Seasonal Affective Disorder.

IMO there should be a 'FAD' - Fashion Addiction Disorder.

If anyone can find a description for antisocial personality disorder
which gives the acronym 'BAD', please send the suggestion to the
American Psychiatric Association

--
Steve Horne

Mark Jackson

> If anyone can find a description for antisocial personality disorder
> which gives the acronym 'BAD', please send the suggestion to the
> American Psychiatric Association

How about Bytecode Aversion Disorder, for those who insist that any
language that is not compiled to machine code is worthless?

There are two kinds of fool. One says, "This is old,
and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and
therefore better." - Dean William Inge