Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Queues - Is Infinity all right?

Re: Queues - Is Infinity all right?

Rob Hunter

On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 09:53 PM, Jeremy Fincher wrote:

> Rob Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> But it doesn't depend on such things. There is no cost. Check out
>> the
>> source code if you like. On my computer it's in /usr/lib/python<some
>> version>/Queue.py

> That's where your wrong. list.pop(0) is an O(n) operation.

And this O(n) operation is used no matter is a bound was chosen for the
queue size, or not.

Several people seemed to interpret the original question as, "What is
the running time of the queue operations when there is an infinite
bound on the size given?" I interpreted the original question to be,
"Is anything saved, in terms of running time, by choosing some
particular queue size bound instead of leaving the it unbounded?" And
for that the answer is "No". Agreed?

Above, when I wrote, "There is no cost", I should have written "There
is no cost difference". But

Rob