Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > use make and version control system for every project?

use make and version control system for every project?

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben Finney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:08:57 GMT, Carl Banks wrote:
>>
>> I recommended not bothering early on because I tend to move files
>> around quite a bit early on (a major pain in CVS), and I suspect I'm
>> not the only person to do that.

>That's a flaw of CVS, not of revision control. Other revision control
>systems (Arch, Subversion, even RCS) don't suffer from this flaw; use
>any of those to have *no* excuse not to use revision control from the
>project's inception.

How well does Subversion work without a web server? The docs seem to
imply that you need one, but I'd be using it only in local mode. How
would you choose between Arch and Subversion?

--Bill Harlan

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Erik Max Francis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sure. But source control (CVS or not; for personal use I use Perforce)
>makes this process streamlined and automatic. Without it, if you want
>incremental diffs you have to remember to make a copy of each revision
>of each file you edit, naming them meaningfully for future. Source
>control gets you this automatically, as well as allowing you to do
>things like conveniently create branches, merge them back in to the main
>line, etc.

Why Perforce? Isn't that $$$ code?

--Bill Harlan

A.M. Kuchling

On 12 Oct 2003 11:13:26 -0400,
Aahz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How well does Subversion work without a web server? The docs seem to
> imply that you need one, but I'd be using it only in local mode. How
> would you choose between Arch and Subversion?

Subversion can work on local file storage; in that case, all you need is the
'svn' binary.

My capsule summary of Subversion: works OK, though occasionally the database
gets corrupted in a way that requires running a lock cleanup script. (It
should be emphasized that these corruptions haven't ever resulted in data
loss for me.) SVN is handicapped by being a complete bear to compile,
especially the server; it's much easier to just run Debian unstable, which
has Subversion, than to struggle with compiling Apache2 + neon + Subversion.

I've read the Arch tutorial and intend to experiment with it, because it
looks promising, but don't have any actual experience using it. It looks
*much* easier to make a repository publicly available with Arch than with
Subversion. Some of its filename conventions are a bit goofy, but that can
be lived with.

--amk

Erik Max Francis

Aahz wrote:

> Why Perforce? Isn't that $$$ code?

Not for small (two or fewer users, two or fewer cleints) or open source
projects.

--
Erik Max Francis && http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ But in matters fundamental / We are patterned on an old design

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Erik Max Francis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Aahz wrote:
>>
>> Why Perforce? Isn't that $$$ code?

>Not for small (two or fewer users, two or fewer cleints) or open source
>projects.

Does Perforce work without a server?

--Bill Harlan

Erik Max Francis

Aahz wrote:

> Does Perforce work without a server?

No, but as I said, you can run it without a license with two users and
two client workspaces for free for as long as you want; the client and
server are free to download. See the Licensing section of this page:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog.html

You can run the server yourself, you just can't add more than two users
or workspaces -- and for single use, that's often a perfectly acceptable
limitation.

And as I mentioned, you can supposedly qualify for a free license with
open source projects that meet some criteria, but I haven't looked into
it closely myself so I don't know the precise details.

--
Erik Max Francis && (E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ In our family we don't divorce our men -- we bury them.

Michael Geary

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> No, but as I said, you can run it without a license with two users and
> two client workspaces for free for as long as you want; the client and
> server are free to download. See the Licensing section of this page:
>
> http://www.perforce.com/perforce/loadprog.html
>
> You can run the server yourself, you just can't add more than two users
> or workspaces -- and for single use, that's often a perfectly acceptable
> limitation.

BTW, Erik, thank you very much for pointing this out. We use Perforce at
work, and it never had occurred to me that I could use it for my personal
projects as well. Sweet!

-Mike

Erik Max Francis

Michael Geary wrote:

> BTW, Erik, thank you very much for pointing this out. We use Perforce
> at
> work, and it never had occurred to me that I could use it for my
> personal
> projects as well. Sweet!

Yeah, I came across it the same way.

--
Erik Max Francis && (E-Mail Removed) && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ You are free and that is why you are lost.