Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Windows Source?

Python Windows Source?

Paradox

This seems like a simple question but I keep looking and can't seem to
find it anywhere. Do I have to check it out directly from CVS. Is
there anywhere I can download the source already compiled. All I
really want is to be able to compile PIL.

Thanks Joey

Skip Montanaro

Joey> This seems like a simple question but I keep looking and can't
Joey> seem to find it anywhere. Do I have to check it out directly from
Joey> CVS. Is there anywhere I can download the source already
Joey> compiled. All I really want is to be able to compile PIL.

I don't believe there is a distribution which contains object files
(compiled, but not yet linked). You can get the Python source code from
here:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.3.1/Python-2.3.1.tgz

(that's a gzipp'ed tar file), or the Windows binary installer from here:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.3.1/Python-2.3.1.exe

There is nothing in between.

Skip

Daniel Dittmar

Paradox wrote:
> This seems like a simple question but I keep looking and can't seem to
> find it anywhere. Do I have to check it out directly from CVS. Is
> there anywhere I can download the source already compiled. All I
> really want is to be able to compile PIL.

If you want to compile an extension like PIL on Windows, then everything
needed is part of the normal installer. Assuming you installed Python to
c:\Python23, then you'll need the include files at c:\Python23\include
and the import library at c:\Python23\libs\python23.lib.

Daniel