Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Tkinter not installed

Tkinter not installed

anuradha.k.r@sify.com

hi,
Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
windows side works fine on linux side also).
is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
can i find those files?
pls help.
thanx,
AKR.

Xavier Martinez

> Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
> python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
> selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
> program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
> windows side works fine on linux side also).
> is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
> can i find those files?

It depends of what linux distribution are you using (you should
specify it). If you have a Debian box, simply type (as root):

$ apt-get install python2.2-tk

--
Xavier Martinez

anuradha.k.r@sify.com

hi,
i am very sorry.i am using Redhat Linux 8.0.
I 've downloaded few rpm files "tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm"
will this be of any use?if so how do i extract the files from rpm(i
know that it is used to compress some software files).
do suggest a solution.
thanx.
Akr.

"Xavier Martinez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Have a problem in python installation.I have already installed
> > python 2.2 in my linux machine,but i guess tkinter packages were not
> > selected then.Now i want to use tkinter as an interface for my
> > program(actually i wanted to check if my python program written in
> > windows side works fine on linux side also).
> > is there any way i can include the tkinter packages?if so where
> > can i find those files?

> It depends of what linux distribution are you using (you should
> specify it). If you have a Debian box, simply type (as root):
>
> $ apt-get install python2.2-tk

Xavier Martinez

> hi,
> i am very sorry.i am using Redhat Linux 8.0.
> I 've downloaded few rpm files "tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm"
> will this be of any use?if so how do i extract the files from rpm(i
> know that it is used to compress some software files).

I have not used Red Hat for a long time. However, a bit of googling gives:

Using RPM (from the Red Hat manuals) (command-line tool):
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...rpm-using.html

In short, write (as root):

$ rpm -Uvh tkinter-2.2.1-17.i386.rpm

If it complains about 'Failed dependencies', you will need to install some
other packages first.

You can also use a graphical tool. See:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...hical-rpm.html

Another alternative is to use 'apt-rpm'. See:
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/