Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python, vtk, C++

python, vtk, C++

Yi-Yu Chou

Dear all,

I want to use python as my GUI to load a 3D volume (vtkImageData),
and use a pointer to pass this 3D image to my own C++ class.
My question is I don't know how to communicate between python and C++.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

現在就上 MSN 台灣網站:與親朋好友緊密聯繫,即時掌握新聞、財經、娛樂的最新訊
http://msn.com.tw

John J. Lee

"Yi-Yu Chou" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I want to use python as my GUI to load a 3D volume (vtkImageData),
> and use a pointer to pass this 3D image to my own C++ class.
> My question is I don't know how to communicate between python and C++.
> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Google.

John

David Abrahams

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John J. Lee) writes:

> "Yi-Yu Chou" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I want to use python as my GUI to load a 3D volume (vtkImageData),
>> and use a pointer to pass this 3D image to my own C++ class.
>> My question is I don't know how to communicate between python and C++.
>> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

> Google.

I think I can be a little more helpful than that:

http://www.boost.org/libs/python
http://www.swig.org

HTH,
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Fernando Perez

David Abrahams wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (John J. Lee) writes:
>
>> "Yi-Yu Chou" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> I want to use python as my GUI to load a 3D volume (vtkImageData),
>>> and use a pointer to pass this 3D image to my own C++ class.
>>> My question is I don't know how to communicate between python and C++.
>>> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

>> Google.

> I think I can be a little more helpful than that:
>
> http://www.boost.org/libs/python
> http://www.swig.org

And even further: google('mayavi python') (this wouldn't be obvious if you
didn't know about mayavi). There's a solid chance Mayavi will solve the OP's
problem without writing one line of code. The most recent version includes
volume rendering right out of the box. If he wants to code, mayavi can also
be scripted, and a tool called ivtk is included for interactive manipulation
of vtk objects.

Cheers,

f.