Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?

Re: Python mascot? How about a Pythoneer?

Dave Brueck

On Monday 29 September 2003 12:36 pm, Michael Chermside wrote:
> > I've been thinking that a good Python mascot might help in raising
> > public awareness of Python.
> >
> > The problem with a snake as a mascot is that it is not anthropomorphic
> > enough. An effective mascot has to have something approximating two
> > arms, two legs, and a head, so that he can be put into various
> > interesting situations and adventures. (At the very least, he has to
> > be able to work a keyboard and a mouse!) Good examples can be found
> > in some of the imaginative things that have been done with Linux's
> > Tux.
> >
> > So a snake is out.

> I'm not an artist, but I still want to question your "requirements"
> above. You declare "An effective mascot has to have something
> approximating two arms, two legs, and a head". I certainly see why
> an effective mascott needs a _face_ (to express emotion, and to take
> advantage of the hardwired human facial-feature processor). But I
> really don't understand the need for two legs, and with some creative
> stretch, I'm unsure about the hands.

I agree. See Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle Book for creative ways of using
snake characters. Also, a lack of arms never stopped Homestar Runner[1] from
eating, reading, etc.

-Dave

[1] http://www.homestarrunner.com

selwyn

[snip]

> I agree. See Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle Book for creative ways of using
> snake characters. Also, a lack of arms never stopped Homestar Runner[1] from
> eating, reading, etc.
>
> -Dave
>
> [1] http://www.homestarrunner.com

that goes for the blue racer as well!!!
http://lostkartoon.tripod.com/blueracer.htm

http://art.gnome.org/images/icons/ot...hon-Source.png

Definitely not cute and cuddly, but a nice icon. Personally, I'd like
to see something with a level of artistry equal to the icon above but
with the cuteness factor of Odi.

Bengt Richter

On 1 Oct 2003 11:05:38 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (336699) wrote:

>http://art.gnome.org/images/icons/ot...hon-Source.png
>
>Definitely not cute and cuddly, but a nice icon. Personally, I'd like
>to see something with a level of artistry equal to the icon above but
>with the cuteness factor of Odi.

Actually ISTM that one looks more like a green cobra
(with a whitish under-hood area) than a python

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Hannu Kankaanp??

Dave Brueck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I agree. See Disney's Robin Hood and Jungle Book for creative ways of using
> snake characters. Also, a lack of arms never stopped Homestar Runner[1] from
> eating, reading, etc.
>
> -Dave
>
> [1] http://www.homestarrunner.com

And who's to say snakes can't have arms? Trogdor[1] may not be a snake
but it kinda looks like one, with a beefy arm attached to it's back.
So all we need to do is add an arm to the Python-snake and it
can do all the hacking we want. Perfect.

[1] http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html