Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > What's the best MP3 (ID3) access library to use?

What's the best MP3 (ID3) access library to use?

Paul Moore

I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
obvious "standard" module to use.

Basically, I want to write some scripts to "tidy up" a collection of
MP3 files, reporting oddities in information, rationalising details,
etc. So I believe that my requirements are:

- Works on Windows
- Allows easy access to title, artist, album info
- Allows updates

I don't know much about the technical details of MP3/ID3 formats, the
objective is basically to automate a slog through a large number of
files with an editor program.

An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
Artist", Title = "Track Name".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Paul.

Lawrence Oluyede

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Moore) writes:

> I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
> files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
> I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
> of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
> obvious "standard" module to use.

Try this: id3-py.sf.net
It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

--
Lawrence "Rhymes" Oluyede
http://loluyede.blogspot.com

Jarek Zgoda

Lawrence Oluyede <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:

>> I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
>> files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
>> I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
>> of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
>> obvious "standard" module to use.

> Try this: id3-py.sf.net
> It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

It works also on Windows, but accepts only ID3v1 tags.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Registered Linux User #-1

Paul Moore

Jarek Zgoda <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Lawrence Oluyede <(E-Mail Removed)> pisze:
>
>>> I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
>>> files. A search of Parnassus picked up a number of possibilities, but
>>> I can't work out which best suits what I'm trying to do. Some seem out
>>> of date, others are Unix only, etc. There doesn't seem to be an
>>> obvious "standard" module to use.

>> Try this: id3-py.sf.net
>> It should work on Windows but I haven't tested yet

> It works also on Windows, but accepts only ID3v1 tags.

Looks like I need ID3v2 tags. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

Paul
--
This signature intentionally left blank

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

On 29 Sep 2003 04:49:03 -0700, rumours say that
(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Moore) might have written:

>I'm looking for a Python library to access ID3 information in MP3
>files.

[snip]
>An example of the sort of thing I want to do - I've got some files
>with Artist = "Various" and Title = "Real Artist - Track Name" (from
>compilation albums) and I'd like to change that to Artist = "Real
>Artist", Title = "Track Name".

Unless you care for the hack value, you better use a free tool like this
one (which I have used):
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

I have written an ID3v1.1 module, which I will include in another doing
APE tags too, but I don't think this would help you if your songs have
ID3v2 tags.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,

Paul Moore

Christos "TZOTZIOY" Georgiou <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Unless you care for the hack value, you better use a free tool like
> this one (which I have used):
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/~cse/html/tag.html

Hack value is usually relevant, with me, but the main reason was that
I'd not found a command-line utility which did the job. The one you
suggest looks like just what I want! And if I *still* want to hack, I
can write a Python script to call tag.exe as needed

Thanks very much.
Paul.
--
This signature intentionally left blank

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy

The most comprehensive one I know of is this, however, I think it's
readonly:

http://www.omniscia.org/~vivake/python/MP3Info.py

Grisha