Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > VB6 thin client

VB6 thin client

Mark Carter

Suppose I wanted to combine a thin client written in VB6 with a server
on a remote machine. Since this is the python group, assume for now
that it could be written in python (although VB6 would be a nice
alternative). What technologies would I use?

Daniel Dittmar

Mark Carter wrote:
> Suppose I wanted to combine a thin client written in VB6 with a server
> on a remote machine. Since this is the python group, assume for now
> that it could be written in python (although VB6 would be a nice
> alternative). What technologies would I use?

Depends on who told you to use a thin client:
- marketing: just use the old program and *call* it a thin client.
- your professor: tell him that you abstracted the layers (presentation,
network, application, database) into abstract interfaces, which allows you
to replace each individually with the best technology available. If his golf
games are sponsored by Oracle, tell him that central servers are good
(insert 'grid computing' if your professor occasionally reads). If his golf
games are sponsored by Microsoft, tell him that many smaller servers are
cost efficient.
- your boss: ask him what is actually required of a thin client
** no installation (browser only)
** easy updatable (getting updates automatically from server)
** business logic written in a specific language => application server
** distribution of processing power (allowing cheap client machines)
- anyone else: talk of SOAP, XML-RPC, WebServices, multi tier architecture

Daniel

Wyse Thin Client - 831 - Cable Modem - VPN 3030 Problem? TechGuy Cisco 6 05-01-2005 02:19 AM
Thin client to thick client communication Russ ASP .Net 1 11-29-2004 06:44 PM
Web enabled App architecture question - thin or thick client? Adam Lipscombe Java 5 04-24-2004 08:09 AM
thin client requirement John Java 1 09-18-2003 03:34 AM
Thin client terry Java 5 08-10-2003 07:25 PM

Advertisments