Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > SOHO 91 / IOS

SOHO 91 / IOS

Shade

I bought a SOHO 91 router from PC Connection about 4 months ago and
have the following IOS:

SOHO91-K9OY6-M, Version 12.2(YN

I'm reading that CRWS is absolutely horrible and that I want to
upgrade to SDM. I'm trying to do that but I think that I need to
upgrade my IOS. True?

Does Cisco require me to have a contract in order to get the latest
IOS? I'm an end user and don't really want to purchase an enterprise
contract to upgrade my IOS. But, is this what Cisco demands?

Thanks for the help.

Curtis

Artem

I didn't like CRWS because it has serious limitation, and default config
is really horrible. Just look at CRWS firewall setting with open netbios
ports. Also you won't be able to set connections from outside to an
internal hosts without turning off the firewall. Finally all CRWS files
are almost 2mb in size - almost half of the IOS image!

I bought a book Cisco IOS from ORelly and started to use CLI, which is
very flexible, althrough has text interface.

Cisco doesn't allow upgrades unless you have a service plan or an
agreement. The cheapest plan I could find costs 31 dollars from
www.cdw.com (cdw product # 452075), which looks pretty reasonable for me
for warranty, and one year support with upgrades.
You still can upgrade CRWS without a service plan from ftp.cisco.com,
but a new version looks the same.

BTW, SDM should be installed instead of CRWS? Does it have better
capabilities?

Shade wrote:
> I bought a SOHO 91 router from PC Connection about 4 months ago and
> have the following IOS:
>
> SOHO91-K9OY6-M, Version 12.2(YN
>
> I'm reading that CRWS is absolutely horrible and that I want to
> upgrade to SDM. I'm trying to do that but I think that I need to
> upgrade my IOS. True?
>
> Does Cisco require me to have a contract in order to get the latest
> IOS? I'm an end user and don't really want to purchase an enterprise
> contract to upgrade my IOS. But, is this what Cisco demands?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Curtis

Shade

As near as I can tell, SDM looks much more flexible than CRWS. CRWS
requires that you not alter the standard network config for inside the
network before it will work. Well, I have (I choose static NAT) and
that has munged up my ability to access the CRWS.

Maybe I'll get me an IOS book too. Couldn't be bad to know.

Thanks a bunch for that service plan cdw #. I'm buying that right
now...pretty reasonable.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:10:49 GMT, Artem <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I didn't like CRWS because it has serious limitation, and default config
>is really horrible. Just look at CRWS firewall setting with open netbios
>ports. Also you won't be able to set connections from outside to an
>internal hosts without turning off the firewall. Finally all CRWS files
>are almost 2mb in size - almost half of the IOS image!
>
>I bought a book Cisco IOS from ORelly and started to use CLI, which is
>very flexible, althrough has text interface.
>
>Cisco doesn't allow upgrades unless you have a service plan or an
>agreement. The cheapest plan I could find costs 31 dollars from
>www.cdw.com (cdw product # 452075), which looks pretty reasonable for me
>for warranty, and one year support with upgrades.
>You still can upgrade CRWS without a service plan from ftp.cisco.com,
>but a new version looks the same.
>
>BTW, SDM should be installed instead of CRWS? Does it have better
>capabilities?
>
>Shade wrote:
>> I bought a SOHO 91 router from PC Connection about 4 months ago and
>> have the following IOS:
>>
>> SOHO91-K9OY6-M, Version 12.2(YN
>>
>> I'm reading that CRWS is absolutely horrible and that I want to
>> upgrade to SDM. I'm trying to do that but I think that I need to
>> upgrade my IOS. True?
>>
>> Does Cisco require me to have a contract in order to get the latest
>> IOS? I'm an end user and don't really want to purchase an enterprise
>> contract to upgrade my IOS. But, is this what Cisco demands?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Curtis

instructions on how to perform an IOS upgrade on a Catalyst 6500 switch (IOS to IOS) Mike Rahl Cisco 1 05-30-2007 05:22 PM
Cisco SOHO 77 and IOS ES Cisco 5 01-31-2005 12:03 AM
SOHO 96 IOS Knut Rauscher Cisco 0 09-17-2004 05:50 PM
"ip addr dhcp" is not available for my IOS release, who has latest IOS for 2514 and 2509? Ed Kideys, Tech-Train Cisco 3 04-30-2004 07:51 PM
IOS to IOS VPN Problem Evan Mann Cisco 0 02-11-2004 04:42 PM

Advertisments