Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Barcode generator for Python?

RE: Barcode generator for Python?

John Precedo

jennyw said in a recent posting to the python list:
> Does anyone know of a barcode generator for Python? I'm looking to do
> this on Windows. It would be nice to find something free, but that's not
> necessary (so long as it's reasonable). It doesn't have to be
> Python-specific, either, so long as I can call it from Python. I'd love
> to hear any suggestions.

The reportlab open source toolkit has a very nice barcode widget. It's
capable of creating the following
I2of5
MSI
Codabar
Code 11
Code 39
Extended Code 39
Code93
Extended Code93
Code 128
USPS FIM
USPS POSTNET

This isn't actually included in the standard distribution. It is a third
party extension package written by
Tyler C. Sarna <(E-Mail Removed)> - you can download it from
http://www.reportlab.com/extensions.html.

By default, the open source toolkit creates PDF files, but if you use the
graphics subpackage you can create bitmaps (GIF, Jpegs, PNG etc) using the
renderPM renderer.

If all you want is some barcodes done as images, this may be overkill (by
quite a large amount). However, if you need to create PDF files, or need to
create other graphics and charts as bitmap images as well as barcodes then
it may be the exact solution you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John

--
John Precedo ((E-Mail Removed)) Developer
Reportlab Europe Ltd (http://www.reportlab.com)