Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Where to publish my code

Where to publish my code

Erik Lechak

Hello All,

I have started working on a graphical programming tool for Python. It
is similar to Matlab's Simulink (block diagram programming tool). I
am at a point where I would like to publish the code, but I am not
sure where to put it.

I don't need public CVS, bug list, feature suggestions ... I do need
space on the server to store the application (it just can't point to
my site). I would like the ability to update my code easily and
frequently. It would be nice but not necessary to see how many people
have downloaded the code.

So far some solutions are:

1) Vaults of Parnassus - have not tried it yet. The registration
process makes it looks like they don't provide the space for the
application. I could be wrong?

2) Sourceforge - A little too bloated for my needs. But they do
provide the space to put my code. I used them before and it was kind
of a pain to do updates.

3) wxpython-pit.sourceforge.net - Is this a popular site?

Are there other locations? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Erik Lechak

John J. Lee

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Erik Lechak) writes:
[...]
> 1) Vaults of Parnassus - have not tried it yet. The registration
> process makes it looks like they don't provide the space for the
> application. I could be wrong?

I've never heard that they provide web space.

> 2) Sourceforge - A little too bloated for my needs. But they do
> provide the space to put my code. I used them before and it was kind
> of a pain to do updates.

[...]

Just ignore their file release system (which is apparently going away
soon anyway). That's what I do -- treat it as free web space. All
you need is scp and ssh. You can shut down their bug tracking system
too, so people don't start posting stuff there. SF doesn't provide
download stats, since it's expensive for them to provide (apparently).

4) GNU has an SF clone called Savannah.

John

Neil Hodgson

[Erik Lechak]
> 2) Sourceforge

[John J. Lee]
> Just ignore their file release system (which is apparently going away
> soon anyway). That's what I do -- treat it as free web space. All
> you need is scp and ssh.

After a couple of months of doing this I received a request to move the
files from the web space to the release system. May depend on how often your
files are downloaded.

Neil

John J. Lee

"Neil Hodgson" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> [Erik Lechak]
> > 2) Sourceforge

> [John J. Lee]
> > Just ignore their file release system (which is apparently going away
> > soon anyway). That's what I do -- treat it as free web space. All
> > you need is scp and ssh.

> After a couple of months of doing this I received a request to move the
> files from the web space to the release system. May depend on how often your
> files are downloaded.

I've been doing that for over a year, so it seems that low bandwidth
projects like mine don't bother them much. I certainly don't remember
reading anything when I signed up that requires you to use their file
release system. Maybe when they roll out their new file release
system (supposedly easier to use) they'll be less tolerant.

John

Irmen de Jong

Neil Hodgson wrote:

> After a couple of months of doing this I received a request to move the
> files from the web space to the release system. May depend on how often your
> files are downloaded.

Probably because the files on the file release system are
mirrorred to SF's download mirrors, while the web content
always comes from their own server.

--Irmen

Fernando Perez

Erik Lechak wrote:

> I have started working on a graphical programming tool for Python. It
> is similar to Matlab's Simulink (block diagram programming tool).

Not that I'm trying to discourage you in any way from working on your own, but
are you familiar with viper?

http://www.scripps.edu/~stoffler/proj/ViPEr/viper.html

This thing is simply amazing, big, stable, and heavily used for real research.
You might at least want to have a look at it for inspiration purposes if you
wish to develop your own project.

Best regards,

Fernando.

Alan James Salmoni

Hi Erik,

I use http://sunsite.dk for my project (SalStat). You have to ask them
explicitly (just email them), but your project sounds great, and it
costs nothing. If you are accepted, the url will be
projectname.sunsite.dk.

They seem to be reasonably reliable. Uploads are done by ftp which is
more simple than Sourceforges (from my point of view), and there are
running statistics of page impressions (but not more detailed AFAIK).
You could always embed some php code into your web pages to count
stuff - sadly they don't have Python on the server...

Alan James Salmoni
SalStat Statistics
http://salstat.sunsite.dk

(E-Mail Removed) (Erik Lechak) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello All,
>
> I have started working on a graphical programming tool for Python. It
> is similar to Matlab's Simulink (block diagram programming tool). I
> am at a point where I would like to publish the code, but I am not
> sure where to put it.
>
> I don't need public CVS, bug list, feature suggestions ... I do need
> space on the server to store the application (it just can't point to
> my site). I would like the ability to update my code easily and
> frequently. It would be nice but not necessary to see how many people
> have downloaded the code.
>
> So far some solutions are:
>
> 1) Vaults of Parnassus - have not tried it yet. The registration
> process makes it looks like they don't provide the space for the
> application. I could be wrong?
>
> 2) Sourceforge - A little too bloated for my needs. But they do
> provide the space to put my code. I used them before and it was kind
> of a pain to do updates.
>
> 3) wxpython-pit.sourceforge.net - Is this a popular site?
>
> Are there other locations? Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik Lechak

Erik Lechak

Hello,

> Not that I'm trying to discourage you in any way from working on your own, but
> are you familiar with viper?

I can't believe that I have never heard of this before. It looks
neat, but it is implemented using tk (I prefer wxPython). I need some
wxOGL-like functionality for other projects so I am writing a
wxOGL-like library in python. A visual programming tool is just the
best demo/testing app I can think of to shake all the bugs loose.

Thanks for the link,
Erik Lechak