Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Webware and memory problem!

Webware and memory problem!

JZ

How much memory WebKit should normally take??? As I can see, every
WebKit daemon takes over 40MB (sic!) of RAM. WebKit lauches 10 daemons
during startup, so I need over 400MB for WebKit alone! Is it normal or
I have something wrong configured? (used RedHat7 and Webware CVS
2003-09-12)

I compared the same with Windows XP Pro workstation. It takes only
10MB and uses only one process! Top ammount of used memory is 17MB...

--
JZ

Martin Franklin

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 14:35, JZ wrote:
> How much memory WebKit should normally take??? As I can see, every
> WebKit daemon takes over 40MB (sic!) of RAM. WebKit lauches 10 daemons
> during startup, so I need over 400MB for WebKit alone! Is it normal or
> I have something wrong configured? (used RedHat7 and Webware CVS
> 2003-09-12)
>
> I compared the same with Windows XP Pro workstation. It takes only
> 10MB and uses only one process! Top ammount of used memory is 17MB...
>
> --
> JZ

I think you may be counting all the threads that WebKit starts. On an
older version of Linux like yours each thread shows up as it's own
process. So I suspect WebKit is really using 40B total on Linux. not 10
x 40M

Regards
Martin

--
Martin Franklin <(E-Mail Removed)>

Skip Montanaro

jz> How much memory WebKit should normally take??? As I can see, every
jz> WebKit daemon takes over 40MB (sic!) of RAM. WebKit lauches 10
jz> daemons during startup, so I need over 400MB for WebKit alone! Is it
jz> normal or I have something wrong configured? (used RedHat7 and
jz> Webware CVS 2003-09-12)

Most of that 40MB is probably shared between all processes (C libraries,
etc). On the other hand, the Python bytecode, which should be sharable, is
almost certainly loaded into the interpreter's data space, so isn't shared.
I'd be surprised if it was very much of the total memory usage, however.

Skip

Webware vs. PHP - performance comparision!!! JZ Python 16 10-07-2003 09:04 PM
Re: Webware vs. PHP - performance comparision!!! Ian Bicking Python 0 10-07-2003 02:48 AM
Webware and RAM! JZ Python 3 09-20-2003 12:47 PM
Webware for Python 0.8.1 released Geoffrey Talvola Python 0 08-01-2003 04:06 PM
Re: Webware application question deelan Python 1 07-30-2003 08:18 PM

Advertisments