Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > is importing redundantly harmful/wasteful?

is importing redundantly harmful/wasteful?

python@sarcastic-horse.com

I'm writing a function and it needs to use regular expressions and the
super-fantastic mx.DateTime module. The first lines after the doc string
in the function are:

import re, mx.DateTime

I'll be using this function in a bunch of different programs. Some of
those programs might need re and mx.DateTime for other tasks.

In some cases, I'll be redundantly importing these modules. Should I care
if I'm re-importing re and mx.DateTime even after they've been imported?
Does python do some sort of checking for this stuff or do I need to?