Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VLAN Trunking - can you filter which ports are in a given trunk?

VLAN Trunking - can you filter which ports are in a given trunk?

DaZZa

Greetings.

I have a network which looks something like the rough diagram below

----------------
| C3700 series |
| |
---------------

| Link A

--------------- Link B ---------------
| C3508 Switch|------------|C2950 Switch |
| "D" | | "A |
-------------- --------------

| Link C

---------------
|C2950 Switch |
| "C" |
--------------

Each C2950 is a "T" model, and has a gigabit link back to the 3508,
and also has other switches cascaded off it.

Link A, Link B & Link C are all trunks.

I have VLAN's numbered 2, 3, 4, 5 for example, and I want to have the
following happen

Link A carries traffic for all VLAN's
Link B Carries traffic for VLAN's 2, 4 & 5
Link C Carries traffic for VLAN 3 only

Is this possible? I've attempted to use the commands

switchport mode trunk
switch port trunk allowed vlan 3

on the port being used for linking switch "C" with switch "D", but I can
find no indication that it's actually working.

Is there some way of monitoring which VLAN's are actually being trunked
out a given port using debug or a show option, or as I asking too much?

The 2950T's are running software version 12.1(14). The 3508 is running
software version 12.0(5.1) as they are somewhat older.

Any help appreciated

DaZZa

--
Address in header is spamblocked. ROT13 the following for email replies

Cisco C2900XL want ports to work on native vlan and switchport vlan paul1537 Cisco 0 05-15-2008 03:30 PM
Trunking VLAN to non cisco switch? Michael Letchworth Cisco 3 12-09-2004 09:21 PM
VLAN Trunking Cisco Cat 5500 switch (multiple vlans per port) help please BG Cisco 4 09-07-2004 01:39 AM
pix vlan trunking Bill F Cisco 4 05-04-2004 12:27 AM
trunking on ip phone ports? P Cisco 0 10-17-2003 12:21 AM

Advertisments