Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Fwd: Re: Writing solid code book

Fwd: Re: Writing solid code book

Jeremy Dillworth

--- "John J. Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (post400) writes:
>
> > there is another famous book 'Writing solid code' but does it apply to
> > Python ? Or it's usable only by Microsoft C programmers ? The author
> > seems to be an ex-Microsoft guy !

> Never read it, but from the blurb about and extract from it in my copy
> of Code Complete it certainly sounds pretty focused on C.
>
> The Python Cookbook is the first book I'd have on my list if I were
> learning Python now (O'Reilly, eds. Martelli & Ascher).
>

> John

I agree! Python cookbook is a must-have for any [aspiring] Python
programmer.

Writing solid code is more about avoiding errors though, I don't see
that covered in the cookbook. Unless I missed some recipes...

Perhaps something like Kent Beck's _Test Driven Development_ would
be more easily applicable to Python than Writing Solid code.
(self.disclaimer = "Have not read it personally")

yaipa h.

> Perhaps something like Kent Beck's _Test Driven Development_ would
> be more easily applicable to Python than Writing Solid code.
> (self.disclaimer = "Have not read it personally")

Yes, but unfortunately, I have found Kent's 'xUnit'
(python example chapters) code to be quite buggy.

see:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D1

I was going to write an errata, but found that to do so,
I would have to write the chapters over from scratch.
At which point I decided that it was time to move on and
get some work done.

--Alan