Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Writing solid code book

Re: Writing solid code book

Jeremy Dillworth

It does use C for its examples, but I think many of the
principles would still apply to Python.

Some, like "crashing early" happen as a side-effect of
using Python. Python's exceptions accomplish this nicely.
Crashing in the face of absurd circumstances rather than
trying to recover or ignore them. I wish Perl had this,
I once had a Perl script eat a few hundred files I was
trying to have it rewrite. A server had run out of disk
space, and since I didn't say "close FILE or die", the
close silently failed to write the file...
a few hundred times.

The author *is* an ex-MS guy. There are commments in the
book to the effect that the practices therein represent the
ideal at Microsoft, not the reality.

Good book.