Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > built with --enable-shared but get error: libpython2.3.so.1.0: can't open shared object file

built with --enable-shared but get error: libpython2.3.so.1.0: can't open shared object file

Douglass Turner

Hi,

Please release me from my own private hell.

Platform: SuSE 8.1

I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows:

../configure --enable-shared
make
make install

When I simply type:

% python

I get:

python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:

This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
/usr/local/lib. Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix
this silly problem (which the python install process should *never*
let happen in the first place).

-Doug

Michael Hudson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Douglass Turner) writes:

> Please release me from my own private hell.

OK, just install the non-shared library build.

> Platform: SuSE 8.1
>
> I'm installing python 2.3 tarball as follows:
>
> ./configure --enable-shared
> make
> make install
>
> When I simply type:
>
> % python
>
> I get:
>
> python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:
>
> This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
> /usr/local/lib.

Is that in /etc/ld.so.conf? Maybe you should set LD_LIBRARY_RUN_PATH
(or whatever it's called).

> Interestingly this is outside PYTHONHOME. How do I fix this silly
> problem (which the python install process should *never* let happen
> in the first place).

Unclear what Python can do. If you want to install a shared library
somewhere that the system doesn't look for it by default, you have to
do something to get it to look there. I guess there's probably some
way of putting an absolute path in the executable, but that leads to
its own form of entertainment (like, I would imagine, not being able
to run the interpreter until you install it).

Cheers,
mwh

--
It could be argued that since Suitespot is infinitely terrible,
that anything else, by very definition of being anything else,

Manfred Bartz

(E-Mail Removed) (Douglass Turner) writes:

> python: error while loading shared libraries: libpython2.3.so.1.0:
>
> This is really, really, frustrating. The file does in fact live in
> /usr/local/lib. ...

Try running

/sbin/ldconfig -v | less

it should list libpython2.3.so.1.0 and starting python should now
automagically load the shared library.

--
Manfred