Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > installing PyQt

installing PyQt

Michael Mossey

Hi, I'm trying to install PyQt for windows together with
non-commercial Qt version 2.3.0. When I try to run a sample Qt
program I get this error:

File "c:/DOCUME~1/mossey/LOCALS~1/Temp/python-1872fAk", line 1, in ?
from main_qt import *
File "main_qt.py", line 2, in ?
from qt import *
File "C:\PROGRA~1\Python22\lib\site-packages\qt.py", line 17, in ?
import libsip

I'm assuming it can't find libsip.dll. This file is located in the
directory C:\Program Files\Python22\Lib\site-packages\ and I added
that directory to both the PYTHONPATH and the PATH. This is windows
2000 so I used the system dialog to do it, and then rebooted the
computer (I don't know if rebooting is necessary). I keep getting the
same error. I tried copying libsip.dll to the C:\winnt directory and
it still didn't find it. Can someone familiar with Python on Windows
2000 give me a clue here?

Regards,
Mike

Michael Mossey

David Bolen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Michael Mossey) writes:
>
> > Hi, I'm trying to install PyQt for windows together with
> > non-commercial Qt version 2.3.0. When I try to run a sample Qt
> > program I get this error:
> >
> > File "c:/DOCUME~1/mossey/LOCALS~1/Temp/python-1872fAk", line 1, in ?
> > from main_qt import *
> > File "main_qt.py", line 2, in ?
> > from qt import *
> > File "C:\PROGRA~1\Python22\lib\site-packages\qt.py", line 17, in ?
> > import libsip
> > ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
> >
> > I'm assuming it can't find libsip.dll. This file is located in the
> > directory C:\Program Files\Python22\Lib\site-packages\ and I added
> > that directory to both the PYTHONPATH and the PATH. This is windows
> > 2000 so I used the system dialog to do it, and then rebooted the
> > computer (I don't know if rebooting is necessary). I keep getting the
> > same error. I tried copying libsip.dll to the C:\winnt directory and
> > it still didn't find it. Can someone familiar with Python on Windows
> > 2000 give me a clue here?

> It's hard to believe that it won't find libsip.dll if it's in the
> site-packages directory since that's part of your default Python
> search path (even without a PYTHONPATH setting). And since libsip is
> a direct "import" (and not a system DLL dependency), the search path
> that governs things is Pythons (e.g., sys.path, including PYTHONPATH)
> and not the Windows system search path (aka PATH).
>
> But it wouldn't hurt for you to verify sys.path after starting a copy
> of Python just to ensure that it has all the directories you expect.
>
> So if we assume libsip itself is found, the problem could be in
> DLL (I forget the exact name for the non-commercial version) also
> somewhere in the system PATH? libsip.dll depends on the Qt DLL, and
> if it fails to find it, libsip in turn will fail to load and can
> produce precisely the traceback as above.
>
> Although if it is a failing dependent DLL, in such a case typically
> you'll also get a system dialog complaining about not finding the
> underlying dependent DLL, but maybe you've just answered that dialog
> without reading it closely? (or maybe somehow those dialogs are being
> suppressed in your setup)
>
> Another alternative would be some other dependency - it might be worth
> checking if all the dependencies for libsip.dll can be resolved on
> your system. A tool like depends (comes with various MS
> toolkits/development environments), or cygcheck (if you have cygwin)
> or others you can download can check this.
>
> -- David

Hi, thanks very much. Your information was helpful in tracking down
the problem, which turned out to be that PyQt was built against Python
2.3 and I was running Python 2.2.2. I'm running Python from Emacs, so
I had to do a few more things to get Emacs to recognize a new version
of python -- turns out I had to re-byte-compile the python-mode.el
file. It all seems to work now. Although you didn't suggest this
solution directly, your information allowed me to eliminate things and
quickly move toward the right answer. Isn't it neat how that works?

-Mike

Installing PyQt Marcus Strube Python 1 02-06-2008 06:04 PM
Missing .dlls when installing PyQt!? :( wd.jonsson@gmail.com Python 2 01-24-2007 02:02 PM
Help on installing PyQt on MacOSX 10.3 needed svenn.are@bjerkem.de Python 10 11-13-2004 12:09 PM
problem installing PyQt for eric3 Lupe Python 3 08-27-2003 02:02 PM

Advertisments