Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > force gtk modal window to keep focus

force gtk modal window to keep focus

brian

Hi,

I am beginner using Python 1.52, GTK 1.2.10, and Glade .0.6.2 to
develop a gui which will kick off various scripts. After checking
some configurations I would like to pop up a window warning the user
of any problems and force them to respond to this window before
returning to the main window. I use a modal dialog window and set the
main window to be insensitive. This works fine but the way my window
manager(MWM) is setup(in the .mwmrc) is to raise a window when clicked
on. So if the dialog is up and the user clicks on the main window the
dialog becomes hidden and nothing can happen. I can change this raise
property on my machine but I don't know how a user's window manager
will be setup. Is this a common problem? Does anyone have a nice
solution? All I can think of is to try and disable events/signals for
the mainwindow or add callbacks for when the focus is lost in the
dialog window. I know my versions are out of date but it's what I
have to work with.

thank you.

Gerrit Holl

brian wrote:
> I am beginner using Python 1.52, GTK 1.2.10, and Glade .0.6.2 to
> develop a gui which will kick off various scripts.

Python 1.5.2 is very old, over 4 years. You are strongly
encouraged to upgrade to a newer Python: make a large leap,
and upgrade to Python 2.3!

Sorry for not answering your question

Gerrit.

--
116. If the prisoner die in prison from blows or maltreatment, the
master of the prisoner shall convict the merchant before the judge. If he