Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: artificial intelligence?

Re: artificial intelligence?

Istvan Albert

Arthur wrote:
> """
> Dear Amazon.com Customer,
>
> We've noticed that customers who have purchased books by Mark Lutz often
> enjoy the books of Sedi 200. So you might like to know that Sedi 200's
> newest book, Earth's Core and Lower Mantle (Fluid Mechanics of Astrophysics
> and Geophysics, V.11),
>
> """
>
> Sure read my mind, didn't they?
>
> Any theories on how the Amazon.com AI machine got this far off track?

The way I interpret this is that your tastes are similar to those
of "Sedi 200". This user's latest purchase was a geophysics books.

Discovering so called "serendipitous" items, items that cannot
be related with classical methods (say content or author) yet
are very desirable to the consumer is the holy
grail of personalization. As the example above shows it
can go totally gaga.

Istvan.

Terry Reedy

"Istvan Albert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Arthur wrote:
> > """
> > Dear Amazon.com Customer,
> >
> > We've noticed that customers who have purchased books by Mark Lutz

often
> > enjoy the books of Sedi 200. So you might like to know that Sedi

200's
> > newest book, Earth's Core and Lower Mantle (Fluid Mechanics of

Astrophysics
> > and Geophysics, V.11),
> >
> > """
> >
> > Sure read my mind, didn't they?
> >
> > Any theories on how the Amazon.com AI machine got this far off

track?

> The way I interpret this is that your tastes are similar to those
> of "Sedi 200". This user's latest purchase was a geophysics books.

> Discovering so called "serendipitous" items, items that cannot
> be related with classical methods (say content or author) yet
> are very desirable to the consumer is the holy
> grail of personalization. As the example above shows it
> can go totally gaga.

Really. SEDI is the acronym of the symposium (7th) that this is the
proceedings of. The Sedi 200 would be the participants listed
collectively as authors. There are also 5 individual humans listed
(as editors). Maybe there was some notice about using Python in
geophysic and the symposium book in one journal, so there was a sudden
spat of, say, three people who bought both. (The SEDI book is $120 so
Mark's book would look cheap by comparison.

Terry J. Reedy

Peter Hansen

Istvan Albert wrote:

> Arthur wrote:
> > We've noticed that customers who have purchased books by Mark Lutz often
> > enjoy the books of Sedi 200. So you might like to know that Sedi 200's
> > newest book, Earth's Core and Lower Mantle (Fluid Mechanics of Astrophysics
> > and Geophysics, V.11),
> > """
> >
> > Any theories on how the Amazon.com AI machine got this far off track?

> Discovering so called "serendipitous" items, items that cannot
> be related with classical methods (say content or author) yet
> are very desirable to the consumer is the holy
> grail of personalization. As the example above shows it
> can go totally gaga.

Why "gaga"? Has anyone actually purchased "Earth's Core and Lower Mantle"?

It could be an absolutely un-put-downable book!

Maybe Amazon is *right*... ;-0

-Peter