Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RE: Win32 documentation in CHM?

RE: Win32 documentation in CHM?

Tim Peters

[Robin Becker]
> It seems the Gods are proposing to distribute the documentation and
> help for Python-2.3.1 in .chm form.

The volunteers who have, and will, build the PythonLabs Windows installers
(Mark Hammond, me, and now Thomas Heller) unanimously agreed that including
a .chm file in the 2.3.1 PythonLabs Windows installer would be more useful
to more people than continuing to ship 8.4MB of HTML docs spread over 1,200+
files.

Many forms of the Python docs (including plain HTML) will continue to be
available for downloading by whoever wants other formats.

> I particularly detest .chm and much prefer .html as it works across all
> platforms.

A .chm file will be included only in the Windows installer; a large pile of
HTML files will still be available, but won't be included in the Windows
installer.

> Additionally by having a single index.html for all of the various bits of
> Python help I can link in things like Pmw, PIL and Quick uide etc with a
> simple text editor.
>
> The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
> indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so?
> HTML is at least an open standard.

You cannot have used a properly constructed .chm file and seriously question
whether it's more searchable. Of course it is, including seemingly
instantaneous Boolean, proximity, wildcard, and similarity searches, across
the entire doc set with one query. I don't know of any way to search thru
more than a thousand .html files that's even arguably comparable; e.g., grep
is a slow & painful joke in comparison.

Lawrence Oluyede

"Tim Peters" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> You cannot have used a properly constructed .chm file and seriously question
> whether it's more searchable. Of course it is, including seemingly
> instantaneous Boolean, proximity, wildcard, and similarity searches, across
> the entire doc set with one query. I don't know of any way to search thru
> more than a thousand .html files that's even arguably comparable; e.g., grep
> is a slow & painful joke in comparison.

Yeah, you're right, I recently switched from Win to Linux (cause I have to use
Linux for job stuff) and the only thing that I really miss is something like
chm compiled documentation. Now i have to use odd things like xCHM or the
nicely-formatted arCHMage (

Mmm if I don't find something more useful i try to code a serious reader
by my self

--
Lawrence "Rhymes" Oluyede
http://loluyede.blogspot.com

Iwan van der Kleyn

Tim Peters wrote:
> The volunteers who have, and will, build the PythonLabs Windows installers
> (Mark Hammond, me, and now Thomas Heller) unanimously agreed that including
> a .chm file in the 2.3.1 PythonLabs Windows installer would be more useful
> to more people than continuing to ship 8.4MB of HTML docs spread over 1,200+
> files.

Great initiative. Are there any compiled CHM files available for 2.3,
perhaps from other sources then PythonLabs?

Regards,

Iwan

Michael Geary

Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:
> Great initiative. Are there any compiled CHM files available for 2.3,
> perhaps from other sources then PythonLabs?

It's easy to make one using the tools and instructions that Bernard
mentioned:

http://www.orgmf.com.ar/condor/pytstuff.html

and:

Just to help out until something more official shows up, I built a CHM file
for Python 2.3 which you can get here:

http://www.geary.com/Python/

-Mike

Jussi Jumppanen

Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:

> Great initiative. Are there any compiled CHM files available
> for 2.3, perhaps from other sources then PythonLabs?

Slightly off topic but still related to Windows help files

You can also turn HTML files into the older Win32 WinHelp using
this nice little tool:

http://www.confluent.fr/javadoc/htmltohlpe.html

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows (All new version 3.90 out now)
"The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com

JanC

Lawrence Oluyede <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef:

> Yeah, you're right, I recently switched from Win to Linux (cause I
> have to use Linux for job stuff) and the only thing that I really miss
> is something like chm compiled documentation.

The wxWindows/wxPython helpviewer utility uses a subset of the MS HTML
Workshop format:
<http://wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.1/wx21.htm#utilities>
<http://wxwindows.org/manuals/2.4.1/wx499.htm#helpformat>

For wxPython-version look in: site-packages/wxPython/tools

--
JanC

David Rushby

Iwan van der Kleyn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f5262ea$0$1667$(E-Mail Removed)4al l.nl>...
> Great initiative. Are there any compiled CHM files available for 2.3,
> perhaps from other sources then PythonLabs?

http://kinterbasdb.sourceforge.net/o...s/py23docs.chm

Stephen Ferg

> I built a CHM file for Python 2.3 ...
Got it! Thanks mucho!

Michael Geary

Michael Geary wrote:
> Just to help out until something more official shows up, I built a CHM

file
> for Python 2.3 which you can get here:
>
> http://www.geary.com/Python/

I just noticed that the CHM file that Tim Peters built is better than the
one I posted above. (The title shows the correct version number, it has a
font size button, and it includes "What's New" in the contents.)

If you downloaded my copy, I recommend that you replace it with Tim's, which
you can find here:

http://home.comcast.net/~tim.one/

I also replaced the old version on my site with a copy of Tim's file, so
anyone who happens to use the link I posted previously will get the good
version.

If you are using Mozilla Firebird and download the file from Tim's site,
you'll want to right-click on the Python23.chm link and do a Save Link As
instead of just clicking on the link--which loads the binary .CHM file into
the browser window!

(Tim, I fixed that glitch on my site by putting an "AddType
application/octet-stream chm" line in my .htaccess file--so a regular
left-click in Mozilla Firebird does the right thing. If Comcast lets you use
a .htaccess file you could add that too.)

-Mike