Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > learning to program

learning to program

Rich

I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
like to know my next move.

Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
to get started in the process of learning how to program.
TIA,
Rich

Peter Hansen

Rich wrote:

> I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
> like to know my next move.
>
> Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
> to get started in the process of learning how to program.

First thing you can do is stop posting the question and wait for
the answers. Three times is more than enough...

Of course, most likely you aren't seeing any of the replies, in which
case you won't get this one either, and since you didn't include your
real mail address, we're stuck!

-Peter

Rich

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:42:06 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>>
>> I downloaded the beginner package from the "Python" site, and would
>> like to know my next move.
>>
>> Should I wade through the site, or are there some exorcises I can do
>> to get started in the process of learning how to program.

>First thing you can do is stop posting the question and wait for
>the answers. Three times is more than enough...

This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
post.

>Of course, most likely you aren't seeing any of the replies, in which
>case you won't get this one either, and since you didn't include your
>real mail address, we're stuck!

I mugged my e-mail to block spam. Here is my e-mail
Rich

>-Peter

Peter Hansen

Rich wrote:

> This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
> thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
> post.

You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python

-Peter

Rich

Thanks
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:31 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>>
>> This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
>> thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
>> post.

>You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
>as soon as they are indexed and on the web:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
>
>-Peter

Rich

wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>>
>> This is the only post I am able to see, sorry about re posting. I
>> thought if I changed the subject heading I might be able to see the
>> post.

>You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
>as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

How long does it usually take to post on Google?

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=comp.lang.python
>
>-Peter

Rich

I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
ran into a problem.

During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
the tasks.

I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

I am using the Tutorial by Alan Gauld, and I am at the bottom of
simple sequences (left side of page).

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:47:14 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:31 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
>> >as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

>> How long does it usually take to post on Google?

>In my experience, usually quite a few hours (maybe four or more?). Right
>now I can see posts there which I read only a short time before seeing
>yours, so that estimate feels about right.
>
>(By the way, it would be helpful if, when you quote material in a post
>to which you're replying, if you used whitespace to separate your
>own text from the quoted material. I almost didn't see your message
>at all, thinking you'd accidentally posted an empty reply. Thanks.
>
>-Peter

Rich

I put this post in the wrong place first, that is why it is on here
twice

wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:31 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
>> >as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

>> How long does it usually take to post on Google?

>In my experience, usually quite a few hours (maybe four or more?). Right
>now I can see posts there which I read only a short time before seeing
>yours, so that estimate feels about right.
>
>(By the way, it would be helpful if, when you quote material in a post
>to which you're replying, if you used whitespace to separate your
>own text from the quoted material. I almost didn't see your message
>at all, thinking you'd accidentally posted an empty reply. Thanks.
>
>-Peter

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:47:34 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rich wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:07:31 -0400, Peter Hansen <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >You should be able to see the replies that you missed via Google Groups,
>> >as soon as they are indexed and on the web:

>> How long does it usually take to post on Google?

>In my experience, usually quite a few hours (maybe four or more?). Right
>now I can see posts there which I read only a short time before seeing
>yours, so that estimate feels about right.
>
>(By the way, it would be helpful if, when you quote material in a post
>to which you're replying, if you used whitespace to separate your
>own text from the quoted material. I almost didn't see your message
>at all, thinking you'd accidentally posted an empty reply. Thanks. :- c )
>
>-Peter

Gerrit Holl

Rich wrote:
> I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
> ran into a problem.
>
> During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
> I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
> the tasks.
>
> I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
> my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

The dos prompt in Windows (or Dos).

Please note that there is also a tutor mailing list, designed to help
new programmers. You may get a quicked answer there.

Gerrit.

--
202. If any one strike the body of a man higher in rank than he, he
shall receive sixty blows with an ox-whip in public.

Peter Hansen

Rich wrote:

> I am going through one of the tutorials on the Python site and have
> ran into a problem.
>
> During the tutorial it talked about TCI, and gave some commands to do.
> I went to the site and downloaded TCI. but was unable to do any of
> the tasks.
>
> I think my question is, when the tutorial say the Dos prompt, do I use
> my Dos prompt in windows, or the Dos prompt in the Python program?

DOS means DOS, which is only the Windows prompt. The Python prompt
would always be called such, or "the interpreter prompt".

I don't know anything about TCI, sorry.

For more effective responses, start a new thread when you have a new
question rather than replying to an existing message. That way others,
who may already have "killed" this thread (i.e. will not see any more
messages linked to the first one you posted) will see your question
and have a chance to reply. (Also consider your subject line and
try to create a descriptive one, rather than generic titles.)

-Peter