Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Password to Open Thunderbird

Password to Open Thunderbird

mcp6453

Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
program is opened.

This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
discussions?

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

mcp6453 wrote:
> Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
> open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
> because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
> program is opened.
>
> This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
> discussions?

Yep, built in.
[Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
<Set Master Password>

Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
will do is ask for the Master Password

Most Thunderbird discussions are over on the dedicated news server

news.mozilla.org
mozilla.support.thunderbird
mozilla.support.general
also group for firefox, seaMonkey, Mozilla suite as well

gwtc

mcp6453 wrote:

> This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
> discussions?

Here's a list of where most of the action is:

MOZILLA: The Mozilla Suite (Thunderbird and Firefox users, please
subscribe to their respective groups!)

The SEAMONKEY project (suite continuation)

FIREFOX: "Browser only" application.

THUNDERBIRD: "eMail only" application.

All other products

Other Groups of Interest:

FOR TESTING THINGS:
To test anything on your eMailer or Browser (HTML stuff, graphics etc)
use these Test groups

Only group which allows non-plaintext posting
news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.test.multimedia -- this one is on the
slow side plus its moderated
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.test.multimedia -- real fast
and not moderated

NETSCAPE 8: (this is a BROWSER ONLY application - no eMail/News)
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape8.windows

NETSCAPE 7: NS 7.0 - 7.2 or Net 7.0 - 7.2
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.windows
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.macintosh
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.unix

NETSCAPE 6:
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape6.windows
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape6.macintosh
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape6.unix

Netscape Communicator: (the NG for Netscape 4.** users)
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.communicator
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.communicator.mac
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.communicator.unix

--
So, You Think You Know Everything?

Did you know that Almonds are a member of the peach family.

Ed Mullen

Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> mcp6453 wrote:
>> Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
>> open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
>> because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
>> program is opened.
>>
>> This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
>> discussions?

> Yep, built in.
> [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
> <Set Master Password>
>
> Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
> requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
> start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
> will do is ask for the Master Password

I'm pretty sure the OP wants a password to be required in order to even
OPEN Thunderbird; to prevent an unauthorized user from ever being able
to get into the program, not just prevent access to the mail accounts
and receiving new mail. I thought the Master Password only comes into
play once TB is running, yes?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

deanhansen

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
>> mcp6453 wrote:
>>> Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
>>> open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
>>> because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
>>> program is opened.
>>>
>>> This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
>>> discussions?

>> Yep, built in.
>> [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
>> <Set Master Password>
>>
>> Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
>> requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
>> start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
>> will do is ask for the Master Password
>>

> I'm pretty sure the OP wants a password to be required in order to even
> OPEN Thunderbird; to prevent an unauthorized user from ever being able
> to get into the program, not just prevent access to the mail accounts
> and receiving new mail. I thought the Master Password only comes into
> play once TB is running, yes?

I use an extension called ProfilePassword 0.7.3, it sets up a password
for your profile. As the author says, this offers only a small degree of
protection, but it's enough for my requirements.

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1801
-----------------
-----------------

Ed Mullen

deanhansen wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

>>> Yep, built in.
>>> [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
>>> <Set Master Password>
>>>
>>> Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
>>> requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
>>> start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
>>> will do is ask for the Master Password
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure the OP wants a password to be required in order to
>> even OPEN Thunderbird; to prevent an unauthorized user from ever being
>> able to get into the program, not just prevent access to the mail
>> accounts and receiving new mail. I thought the Master Password only
>> comes into play once TB is running, yes?
>>

> I use an extension called ProfilePassword 0.7.3, it sets up a password
> for your profile. As the author says, this offers only a small degree of
> protection, but it's enough for my requirements.
>
> http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1801
> www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
> Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

It looks like the OP is using Windows XP. He could set up security on
his Windows user account and deal with it that way.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net