Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > closing a widget

closing a widget

Marcus Schneider

Normally I close my windows/widgets with destroy and it works fine.
Now I have a window (let's call it 1) from where I open an additional
window (let's call it 2). I close it.
Each window has its own main loop.
Now I want to open another window outside the mainloop of window 1. So
I quit that mainloop, go to a new window, destroy that, enter the
mainloop of window 1 again and finally exit with destroy.

All this works in princial, but here's the funny behaviour:

1) If I don't enter 2 quit works, if I do enter 2, I have to press the
"quit button" 2 times. Actually I have to press it an additional time
for every time I opened the window 2. What is happening? How can I
stop that???

2) For whatever reason I also have to click two times on the "destroy"
button at the end of the example. The destroy command is only executed
the second time I press the button ???!!!

All the widgest/windows are stand alone object and use their own
variables..

Marcus Schneider

in the meantime I found a work around, but "there is only one
mainloop" confuses ME

When I generate a GUI with page, the function to open the window looks
like:

def vp_start_gui():
global w
global root
root = Tix.Tk()
root.title('xyz')
w = Klassenname (root)
init()
root.mainloop()

If I use for different windows different variables (like root1, root2
etc) and use commands like "root1.mainloop" and "root2.mainloop",
shouldn't I get one mainloop per window?

Regarding your questions:
I open the new windows rather independently in the same way as
described above.
I close windows based on a button pressed.
With quitting a windows I refer to the quit method.

Hope that clearifies it to a certain degree